The below information on Adderall XR has been taken from official FDA sources, but we cannot guarantee it's accuracy. Please use this site for educational purposes only. This site does not replace a proper discussion with your doctor.
|Brand Name:||Adderall XR|
|Generic:||Amphetamine Aspartate, Amphetamine Sulfate, Dextroamphetamine Saccharate, Dextroamphetamine Sulfate|
|This drug was approved by the FDA in one form or another on:|
|This drug is made in one form or another by the following companies:|
|This drug is available in the following forms:|
Capsules, Extended Release
|View the actual FDA approved label for this drug at the following links:|
About Adderall XR
Adderall is a central nervous system stimulant (amphetamine). Adderall is used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in children 6 years of age and older and in adults.
Precautions for Adderall XR
Amphetamines have a high potential for abuse. Taking amphetamines for long periods of time may lead to drug addiction. Particular attention should be paid to the possibility of people obtaining amphetamines for non-therapeutic use or distribution to others.
Misuse of amphetamine may cause sudden death and serious cardiovascular adverse events.
Side Effects of Adderall XR
- Sudden deaths: See FDA Alert.
- Abuse potential: See Warning.
- Worsening mental illness (psychosis): Adderall may make symptoms of existing mental illness worse.
- Possible decreased growth and weight loss: Adderall may decrease growth and cause weight loss. Children who take it for a long time should have their growth and body weight measured regularly.
- Increased tics: Adderall may worsen tics and Tourette’s disorder.
- Pregnancy: Tell your healthcare professional if you are or may be pregnant because your baby may be premature or have a low birth weight. Also, your baby may show withdrawal symptoms, such as agitation and drowsiness.
- Breast feeding: Do not breast feed while taking Adderall because it can pass into your breast milk.
- Other side effects include loss of appetite, difficulty sleeping, dry mouth, headaches, and mood changes.
- Tell your healthcare professional about any medical conditions you have in addition to those already mentioned in this information sheet.
Who Should Not Take Adderall XR
You should not take Adderall if you have:
- A heart defect
- Other heart problems, including high blood pressure, and heart or blood vessel disease
- Overactive thyroid
- A history of drug abuse
Never take Adderall if you are taking a drug used to treat depression, called a Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor (MAOI), or if you have stopped taking an MAOI in the last 14 days. Taking Adderall close in time to an MAOI can result in serious, sometimes fatal, reactions, including:
- High body temperature
- Seizures (convulsions)
MAOI drugs include Nardil (phenelzine sulfate), Parnate (tranylcypromine sulfate), Marplan (isocarboxid), and other brands.
Interactions with Adderall XR
Adderall may interact with other medicines. These interactions can cause serious side effects. Tell your healthcare professional about all medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements you take, especially:
- Those used to treat depression, known as tricyclic antidepressants and monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI)
- Those used to treat urinary problems
- Propoxyphene (Darvon, Darvocet), a pain medicine
Recent Forum Posts on Adderall XR
Site Copyright © 2003-2008 Jalic Inc. All rights reserved.