The below information on Advair Diskus has been taken from official FDA sources, but we cannot guarantee it's accuracy. Please use this site for educational purposes only. This site does not replace a proper discussion with your doctor.
|Brand Name:||Advair Diskus|
|Generic:||Fluticasone Propionate, Salmeterol Xinafoate|
|This drug was approved by the FDA in one form or another on:|
|This drug is made in one form or another by the following companies:|
|This drug is available in the following forms:|
|View the actual FDA approved label for this drug at the following links:|
About Advair Diskus
Advair Diskus contains 2 medicines:
- Fluticasone propionate, an inhaled corticosteroid medicine. Inhaled corticosteroids help to decrease inflammation in the lungs. Inflammation in the lungs can lead to asthma symptoms.
- Salmeterol inhalation powder, a long-acting beta-agonist (LABA) medicine. LABAs help to relax the muscles around the airways in your lungs.
Advair Diskus does not relieve sudden breathing problems. Always have a short-acting bronchodilator medicine with you to treat sudden breathing problems.
Advair Diskus is used for:
Advair Diskus is used long-term, twice-a-day, to control symptoms of asthma in adults and children ages 4 and older.
- Because LABA medicines such as salmeterol (one of the medicines in Advair Diskus) may increase the chance of death from asthma problems, Advair Diskus is not for adults and children whose asthma is well controlled with:
- an inhaled corticosteroid alone
- an inhaled corticosteroid along with once in a while use of a short-acting bronchodilator
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
Advair Diskus is used long-term, twice-a-day in controlling breathing problems in adults with COPD and chronic bronchitis.
Side Effects of Advair Diskus
Advair Diskus may worsen your breathing problems.Long-acting beta-adrenergic agonists, such as salmeterol, an active ingredient in Advair Diskus, may increase the chance of asthma death in some people. The package insert (labeling) for Advair Diskus has been revised to include a Medication Guide (FDA-approved patient information) which contains information about these risks (see http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/LABA/default.htm).
Other possible side effects with Advair Diskus include:
- immune system effects and a higher chance of infections
- lower bone mineral density. This may be a problem for people who already have a higher chance of low bone density (osteoporosis)
- eye problems including glaucoma and cataracts. You should have regular eye exams while using Advair.
- slowed growth in children.
- increased blood pressure
- fast and irregular heartbeat
- allergic reactions including, rash, hives, and swelling of the face, mouth, and tongue
- throat irritation
Tell your healthcare professional about any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
Interactions with Advair Diskus
Advair Diskus and certain other medicines may interact with each other. Tell your healthcare professional about all the medicines you take including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your healthcare professional if you take ritonavir. The anti-HIV medicines Norvir and Kaletra contain ritonavir.
Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of them with you to show your healthcare professional.
Recent Forum Posts on Advair Diskus
Site Copyright © 2003-2008 Jalic Inc. All rights reserved.