The below information on Arixtra has been taken from official FDA sources, but we cannot guarantee it's accuracy. Please use this site for educational purposes only. This site does not replace a proper discussion with your doctor.
|This drug was approved by the FDA in one form or another on:|
|This drug is made in one form or another by the following companies:|
|This drug is available in the following forms:|
|View the actual FDA approved label for this drug at the following links:|
Arixtra is used to reduce the risk of blood clots in the deep veins of the legs and thighs. These clots may break off and travel to the lungs (pulmonary embolism). Patients at risk for these complications include those undergoing:
- hip fracture surgery,
- hip replacement surgery,
- knee replacement surgery,
- abdominal surgery who are already at risk of blood clot complications
Arixtra also is used with warfarin to treat:
- blood clots in the veins
- blood clots that have broken off and traveled to the lungs (pulmonary embolism) when the patient is first treated in the hospital
Precautions for Arixtra
Certain other medicines can increase the risk of bleeding with Arixtra. Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially, tell your health care provider if you are taking:
- blood thinners
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen (Motrin) or naproxen sodium (Naprosyn or Aleve)
Side Effects of Arixtra
The most common side effect with Arixtra is bleeding.
Who Should Not Take Arixtra
Arixtra should not be given to patients who:
- have severe kidney problems
- weigh less than 110 pounds (50kg)
- have bleeding anywhere
- have a heart infection (bacterial endocarditis)
- have a history of Arixtra causing the blood to have low platelets (thrombocytopenia)
- are allergic to Arixtra or to any of the ingredients in Arixtra
Tell your healthcare provider if you have any of these conditions.
Recent Forum Posts on Arixtra
Site Copyright © 2003-2008 Jalic Inc. All rights reserved.