The below information on Avandaryl has been taken from official FDA sources, but we cannot guarantee it's accuracy. Please use this site for educational purposes only. This site does not replace a proper discussion with your doctor.
|Generic:||Rosiglitazone Maleate, Metformin Hydrochloride|
|This drug was approved by the FDA in one form or another on:|
|This drug is made in one form or another by the following companies:|
|This drug is available in the following forms:|
|View the actual FDA approved label for this drug at the following links:|
Avandaryl is used for:
Treating type 2 diabetes in certain patients. It is used along with diet and exercise.
Avandaryl is a thiazolidinedione and sulfonylurea antidiabetic combination. It lowers blood sugar by making the cells of the body more sensitive to the action of insulin. It also causes the pancreas to release insulin, which helps to lower blood sugar.
Side Effects of Avandaryl
Possible side effects of Avandaryl :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
- upper respiratory tract infection;
- weight gain.
- Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness);
- chest pain;
- fever, chills, or sore throat;
- increased or painful urination;
- menstrual changes;
- symptoms of heart failure (eg, shortness of breath; sudden unexplained weight gain; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet);
- symptoms of liver problems (eg, dark urine, severe or persistent nausea, stomach pain, unexplained vomiting or loss of appetite, yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- symptoms of low blood sugar (eg, anxiety, chills, dizziness or drowsiness, fast heartbeat, headache, increased hunger, increased sweating, tremors);
- unusual bruising or bleeding;
- unusual tiredness or weakness;
- vision changes or persistent blurred vision.
Who Should Not Take Avandaryl
Do NOT use Avandaryl if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Avandaryl
- you have moderate to severe heart failure, liver problems or abnormal liver function tests, certain severe problems associated with diabetes (eg, diabetic ketoacidosis, diabetic coma), moderate to severe burns, or very high blood acid levels (acidosis)
- you have a history of yellowing of the skin or eyes after taking troglitazone
- you have type 1 diabetes
- you are taking bosentan or using insulin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Interactions with Avandaryl
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Avandaryl . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Bosentan because liver problems may occur; the effectiveness of both medicines may be decreased
- Insulin because the risk of swelling problems and heart problems may be increased
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol) because the risk of low blood sugar may be increased. They may also hide certain signs of low blood sugar and make it more difficult to notice
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, enalapril), anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), azole antifungals (eg, miconazole, ketoconazole), chloramphenicol, clofibrate, fenfluramine, monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) (eg, phenelzine), nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen), phenylbutazone, probenecid, quinolone antibiotics (eg, ciprofloxacin), salicylates (eg, aspirin), and sulfonamides (eg, sulfamethoxazole) because the risk of low blood sugar may be increased
- Calcium channel blockers (eg, diltiazem), corticosteroids (eg, prednisone), decongestants (eg, pseudoephedrine), diazoxide, diuretics (eg, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide), estrogens, hormonal contraceptives (eg, birth control pills), isoniazid, niacin, phenothiazines (eg, promethazine), phenytoin, rifamycins (eg, rifampin), sympathomimetics (eg, albuterol, epinephrine), or thyroid supplements (eg, levothyroxine) because they may decrease Avandaryl's effectiveness, resulting in high blood sugar
- Gemfibrozil because blood sugar may be increased or decreased
Recent Forum Posts on Avandaryl
Site Copyright © 2003-2008 Jalic Inc. All rights reserved.