The below information on Avastin has been taken from official FDA sources, but we cannot guarantee it's accuracy. Please use this site for educational purposes only. This site does not replace a proper discussion with your doctor.
|This drug was approved by the FDA in one form or another on:|
|This drug is made in one form or another by the following companies:|
|This drug is available in the following forms:|
|View the actual FDA approved label for this drug at the following links:|
Avastin is used in combination with:
- intravenous 5-FU based combination chemotherapy regimens as the first‑treatment or second-treatment for patients with metastatic colon cancer (cancer of the colon or rectum that has spread to other areas of the body).
- carboplatin and paclitaxel for first‑treatment of patients with unresectable (unable to remove by operation), locally advanced, recurrent or metastatic non‑squamous, non‑small cell lung cancer.
Avastin will not cure colorectal cancer or lung cancer. Overall, patients given Avastin plus chemotherapy for treatment of either colon cancer or lung cancer that has spread live longer than those who receive only chemotherapy.
Precautions for Avastin
- Avastin should be used with caution in patients who are allergic to Avastin or to any of the ingredients in Avastin.
- Avastin may cause severe infusion reactions such as trouble breathing. This usually happens during the first dose, so patients should receive treatment in a doctor’s office or clinic.
Side Effects of Avastin
Serious side effects include of Avastin treatment include:
- gastrointestinal perforation
- impaired wound healing
- severe bleeding
- a dangerously high increase in blood pressure
- kidney damage
- blood clots
- congestive heart failure
More common side effects of Avastin treatment include:
- tiredness and weakness
- stomach pain
- high blood pressure
- nausea and vomiting
- loss of appetite
- mouth sores
- lung infections
- nose bleeds
- shortness of breath
- decreased white blood cells
- skin peeling
- protein in the urine
Recent Forum Posts on Avastin
Site Copyright © 2003-2008 Jalic Inc. All rights reserved.