The below information on Axert has been taken from official FDA sources, but we cannot guarantee it's accuracy. Please use this site for educational purposes only. This site does not replace a proper discussion with your doctor.
|This drug was approved by the FDA in one form or another on:|
|This drug is made in one form or another by the following companies:|
|This drug is available in the following forms:|
|View the actual FDA approved label for this drug at the following links:|
Axert is used for the short term treatment of most types of migraine attacks in adults. Axert is not used to prevent migraines, or to decrease the number of migraine attacks. Axert has not been shown to treat cluster headaches.
Side Effects of Axert
Some signs of rare but serious side effects include:
- Possible life-threatening serotonin syndrome when used with SSRI or SNRI medicines.
- Pain, pressure or tightness in the chest or throat. If severe, or does not go away, call your healthcare professional right away. If this happens at all, discuss with your healthcare professional before taking any more Axert.
- Rarely, people have a serious allergic reaction to Axert. This could cause shortness of breath, wheeziness, heart throbbing, swelling of eyelids, face, or lips, or a skin rash, lumps or hives. If this happens, tell your healthcare professional right away.
Other side effects may include:
- Tingling or burning feeling
- Dry mouth
Who Should Not Take Axert
You should not take Axert if you have (or have had) any of following conditions:
- uncontrolled high blood pressure
- heart disease or a history of heart disease
- hemiplegic or basilar migraine (if you are not sure about this, ask your healthcare professional)
- circulation (blood flow) problems to your arms, legs, and bowels
- have taken another migraine medicine in the same drug class as Axert or other migraine medicines that contain ergotamine, dihydroergotamine, or methylsergide in the last 24 hours (ask your healthcare professional for a list of these medicines if you are unsure)
- take a SSRI or SNRI medicine
- have taken another migraine medicine in the same drug class as Axert or other migraine medicines that contain ergotamine, dihydroergotamine, or methylsergide in the last 24 hours
- take ketoconazole (Nizoral) or itraconazole (Sporanox)
- take nefazodone (Serzone)
- take troleandomycin (TAO)
- take clarithromycin (Biaxin )
- take ritonavir (Norvir) or nelfinavir (Viracept)
Interactions with Axert
Axert and certain other medicines can interact with each other. Tell your healthcare professional about all the medicines you take including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Some medicines may affect how Axert works or Axert may affect how your other medicines work. Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of them with you to show your healthcare professional.
Especially tell your healthcare professional if you:
Recent Forum Posts on Axert
Site Copyright © 2003-2008 Jalic Inc. All rights reserved.