The below information on Duetact has been taken from official FDA sources, but we cannot guarantee it's accuracy. Please use this site for educational purposes only. This site does not replace a proper discussion with your doctor.
|Generic:||Glimepiride, Pioglitazone Hydrochloride|
|This drug was approved by the FDA in one form or another on:|
|This drug is made in one form or another by the following companies:|
Takeda Global Research & Development Center, Inc.
|This drug is available in the following forms:|
|View the actual FDA approved label for this drug at the following links:|
Duetact is used for:
Treating type 2 diabetes in certain patients. It is used along with diet and exercise.
Duetact is a thiazolidinedione and sulfonylurea antidiabetic combination. It lowers blood sugar by making the cells of the body more sensitive to the action of insulin. It also causes the pancreas to release insulin, which helps to lower blood sugar.
Side Effects of Duetact
Possible side effects of Duetact :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
- limb pain;
- muscle aches;
- upper respiratory tract infection;
- weight gain.
- Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue);
- blurred vision or other vision changes;
- chest pain;
- fever, chills, or sore throat; increased or painful urination;
- irregular heartbeat;
- symptoms of heart failure (eg, shortness of breath; sudden unexplained weight gain; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet);
- symptoms of liver problems (eg, dark urine, severe or persistent nausea, stomach pain, unexplained vomiting or loss of appetite, yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- symptoms of low blood sugar (eg, anxiety, chills, dizziness or drowsiness, headache, increased hunger, increased sweating, tremors);
- unusual bruising or bleeding;
- unusual tiredness or weakness.
Who Should Not Take Duetact
Do NOT use Duetact if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Duetact
- you have moderate to severe heart failure, liver problems or abnormal liver function tests, certain severe problems associated with diabetes (eg, diabetic ketoacidosis, diabetic coma), moderate to severe burns, or very high blood acid levels (acidosis)
- you have type 1 diabetes
- you are taking bosentan
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Interactions with Duetact
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Duetact . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Bosentanbecause liver problems may occur, and the effectiveness of both medicines may be decreased
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol) because the risk of low blood sugar may be increased. They may also hide certain signs of low blood sugar and make it more difficult to notice
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, enalapril), azole antifungals (eg, miconazole, ketoconazole), chloramphenicol, clofibrate, fenfluramine, insulin, metformin, monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) (eg, phenelzine), nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen), phenylbutazone, probenecid, quinolone antibiotics (eg, ciprofloxacin), salicylates (eg, aspirin), and sulfonamides (eg, sulfamethoxazole) because the risk of low blood sugar may be increased
- Calcium channel blockers (eg, diltiazem), corticosteroids (eg, prednisone), decongestants (eg, pseudoephedrine), diazoxide, diuretics (eg, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide), estrogens, hormonal contraceptives (eg, birth control pills), isoniazid, niacin, phenothiazines (eg, promethazine), phenytoin, rifamycins (eg, rifampin), sympathomimetics (eg, albuterol, epinephrine), or thyroid supplements (eg, levothyroxine) because they may decrease Duetact's effectiveness, resulting in high blood sugar
- Gemfibrozil because blood sugar may be increased or decreased
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because their effectiveness may be decreased or the risk of their side effects may be increased by Duetact
Recent Forum Posts on Duetact
Site Copyright © 2003-2008 Jalic Inc. All rights reserved.