The below information on Emtriva has been taken from official FDA sources, but we cannot guarantee it's accuracy. Please use this site for educational purposes only. This site does not replace a proper discussion with your doctor.
|This drug was approved by the FDA in one form or another on:|
|This drug is made in one form or another by the following companies:|
|This drug is available in the following forms:|
Capsules and Oral Solutions
|View the actual FDA approved label for this drug at the following links:|
Emtriva is a type of medicine called an HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NRTI). Emtriva helps to block HIV reverse transcriptase, a chemical in your body (enzyme) that is needed for HIV to multiply. Emtriva is always used with other anti-HIV medicines to treat people with HIV infection. Emtriva is for patients over 3 months of age. Emtriva has not been studied fully in adults over age 65.
Emtriva does not cure HIV infection or AIDS. The long-term effects of Emtriva are not known at this time. Emtriva may lower the amount of HIV in the blood (viral load). Emtriva may also help to increase the number of T cells called CD4 cells. Lowering the amount of HIV in the blood lowers the chance of death or infections that happen when your immune system is weak (opportunistic infections). People taking Emtriva may still get opportunistic infections or other conditions that happen with HIV infection.
Emtriva does not lower your chances of passing HIV to other people through sexual contact, sharing needles, or being exposed to blood. For your health and the health of others, it is important to always practice safe sex and never use or share dirty needles.
Precautions for Emtriva
- Do not breast-feed.
- Avoid doing things that can spread HIV infection since Emtriva does not stop you from passing HIV infection to others.
- Do not share needles or other injection equipment.
- Do not share personal items that can have blood or body fluids on them, like toothbrushes or razor blades.
- Do not have sex of any kind without protection. Always practice safer sex by using a latex or polyurethane condom or other barrier to reduce the chance of sexual contact with semen, vaginal secretions, or blood.
Side Effects of Emtriva
Serious side effects with Emtriva include:
- lactic acidosis
- serious liver problems
- “flare-ups” of hepatitis B virus infection. Patients with hepatitis B virus infection, who take Emtriva and then stop it, may get “flare-ups” of their hepatitis. A “flare-up” is when the disease suddenly returns in a worse way than before. Emtriva is not for the treatment of Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) infection.
Some common side effects with Emtriva include:
- changes in body fat distribution
- skin discoloration
The long-term effects of Emtriva are not known at this time.
Who Should Not Take Emtriva
Do not take Emtriva if you are allergic to Emtriva or any of its ingredients.
Recent Forum Posts on Emtriva
Site Copyright © 2003-2008 Jalic Inc. All rights reserved.