The below information on Exjade has been taken from official FDA sources, but we cannot guarantee it's accuracy. Please use this site for educational purposes only. This site does not replace a proper discussion with your doctor.
|This drug was approved by the FDA in one form or another on:|
|This drug is made in one form or another by the following companies:|
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation
|This drug is available in the following forms:|
Tablets and Oral Suspensions
|View the actual FDA approved label for this drug at the following links:|
Exjade is a medicine used to treat chronic iron overload caused by blood transfusions in patients 2 years of age and older.
Side Effects of Exjade
The following are the major possible risks and side effects of Exjade therapy:
- Kidney Problems. Exjade may increase blood serum creatinine (a kidney marker) and protein in the urine. Your healthcare professional should monitor you for kidney problems.
- Liver Problems. Liver problems include hepatitis and changes in blood liver function tests. Your healthcare professional should monitor for liver problems.
- Ear and Eye Problems. Ear problems include hearing loss and decreased hearing Eye problems include lens opacities, cataracts, increased intraocular pressure, and retina disorders that can cause changes in your eyesight. You should have ear and eye testing done before you start Exjade treatment and at regular times while you are taking this medicine.
- Skin Rashes. These rashes often go away by themselves. Your healthcare professional may also decide to lower your dose or stop treatment if the rash is severe.
- Some common side effects that may occur with Exjade include:
- stomach area pain
- skin rash
- increased blood serum creatinine
Who Should Not Take Exjade
You should not be given Exjade if you are allergic to anything in it.
Interactions with Exjade
Exjade and certain other medicines may interact with each other. Tell your healthcare professional about all the medicines you take including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of them with you to show your healthcare professional.
Especially tell your healthcare professional if you take:
- Aluminum-containing antacids. These may affect how Exjade works.
Recent Forum Posts on Exjade
Site Copyright © 2003-2008 Jalic Inc. All rights reserved.