The below information on Fazalco ODT has been taken from official FDA sources, but we cannot guarantee it's accuracy. Please use this site for educational purposes only. This site does not replace a proper discussion with your doctor.
|Brand Name:||Fazalco ODT|
|This drug was approved by the FDA in one form or another on:|
|This drug is made in one form or another by the following companies:|
|This drug is available in the following forms:|
|View the actual FDA approved label for this drug at the following links:|
About Fazalco ODT
Fazalco ODT is a prescription medicine used to treat people with severe forms of schizophrenia that have not responded to or cannot take other treatments. Fazalco ODT is also used to lower the risk of suicidal behavior in people with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder. Fazalco ODT is not approved for use in children.
Precautions for Fazalco ODT
- Dizziness, and sometimes fainting, caused by a drop in blood pressure may happen with Fazalco ODT, especially when you first start taking this medicine or when the dose is increased.
- Fazalco ODT may impair judgment, thinking, or motor skills. You should be careful in operating machinery, including automobiles, until you know how Fazalco ODT affects you.
Side Effects of Fazalco ODT
The following are the risks and potential side effects of Fazalco ODt therapy. However, this list is not complete.
- Increased chance of death in elderly persons. Elderly patients treated with atypical antipsychotics, such as Fazalco ODt, for dementia had a higher chance for death than patients who did not take the medicine. Fazalco ODt is not approved for dementia.
- Agranulocytosis, a potentially life-threatening reaction where the body’s bone marrow does not produce enough white blood cells. Because of this risk, your healthcare professional must monitor your blood while you are taking Fazalco ODt.
- Seizures. The risk of seizure is increased in people who have a history of seizures or other predisposing factors. Because of this risk you should not engage in any activity where you may suddenly lose consciousness, such as operating complex machinery, driving, swimming, climbing, etc.
- Heart problems. Fazalco ODt can cause a condition called myocarditis, or swelling of the heart muscle. Some of the warning signs of myocarditis are tiredness, shortness of breath, rapid breathing, fever, chest pain, and irregular heart beat. If these happen, call your healthcare professional right away.
- Lowering of blood pressure when you stand up. This may also lead to fainting. In rare instances, this has been associated with lung and/or heart collapse.
Fazalco ODt and other antipsychotic medications can cause serious problems such as:
- A life-threatening nervous system problem called neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS). NMS can cause a high fever, stiff muscles, sweating, a fast or irregular heart beat, change in blood pressure, and confusion. NMS can affect your kidneys. NMS is a medical emergency. Call your healthcare professional right away if you experience these symptoms.
- A movement problem called tardive dyskinesia (TD). Call your healthcare professional right away if you get muscle movements that cannot be stopped.
- High blood sugar and diabetes. Patients with diabetes or who have a higher chance for diabetes should have their blood sugar checked often.
- Other serious side effects may include fever, blood clots in the lung, increased blood sugar, and liver disease.
- The most common side effects include drowsiness, increased salivation, rapid heart beat, dizziness, constipation, headache, shaking, and lightheadedness.
Who Should Not Take Fazalco ODT
You should not take Fazalco ODt if:
- You are taking other medicines that can cause the same serious bone marrow side effects as Fazalco ODt.
- You can ask your healthcare professional for a complete list of these medications.
Interactions with Fazalco ODT
Because certain other medications can interact with Fazalco ODt, review all medications that you are taking with your health care professional, including those that you take without a prescription. You should not take Fazalco ODt if you are taking other medicines that can cause the same serious bone marrow side effects as Fazalco ODt.
Your healthcare professional may have to adjust your dose or watch you more closely if you take the following medications:
- certain medicines used to treat anxiety, called benzodiazepines
- certain medicines used to clear thoughts, called psychotropic drugs
Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Fazalco ODt.
Recent Forum Posts on Fazalco ODT
Site Copyright © 2003-2008 Jalic Inc. All rights reserved.