The below information on Gleevec has been taken from official FDA sources, but we cannot guarantee it's accuracy. Please use this site for educational purposes only. This site does not replace a proper discussion with your doctor.
|This drug was approved by the FDA in one form or another on:|
|This drug is made in one form or another by the following companies:|
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation
|This drug is available in the following forms:|
|View the actual FDA approved label for this drug at the following links:|
Gleevec is used in adults for the treatment of:
- gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST)
- dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP)
- myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative diseases (MDS/MPD) associated with PDGFR (platelet-derived growth factor receptor) gene rearrangements
- aggressive systemic mastocytosis (ASM)
- hypereosinophilic syndrome (HES) and/or chronic eosinophilic leukemia (CEL)
Gleevec is used in adults and children for the treatment of:
- Philadelphia chromosome positive chronic myeloid leukemia (Ph+ CML)
In patients being treated for Ph+ CML or GIST, it is not known at this time whether Gleevec will improve symptoms or help patients live longer.
Side Effects of Gleevec
Commonly reported side effects include:
- Fluid retention (sometimes severe)
- Muscle cramps
- Skin rash
Although some of the serious side effects occur less frequently, severe side effects include severe fluid retention (edema), liver problems, heart failure, and the potential for bleeding (hemorrhage), especially in the elderly.
Recent Forum Posts on Gleevec
Site Copyright © 2003-2008 Jalic Inc. All rights reserved.