The below information on Intron A has been taken from official FDA sources, but we cannot guarantee it's accuracy. Please use this site for educational purposes only. This site does not replace a proper discussion with your doctor.
|Brand Name:||Intron A|
|Generic:||Interferon Alfa-2B, recombinant|
|This drug was approved by the FDA in one form or another on:|
|This drug is made in one form or another by the following companies:|
|This drug is available in the following forms:|
|View the actual FDA approved label for this drug at the following links:|
About Intron A
The INTRON A product contains a man-made protein called interferon. Interferon is a protein that is part of the body's immune system that "interferes" with the growth of viruses or cancer cells.
It is not known if INTRON A or INTRON A/REBETOL combination therapy can cure hepatitis B or C (permanently eliminate the virus) or if it can prevent liver failure or liver cancer that is caused by hepatitis B or C infection. It is also not known if INTRON A or INTRON A/REBETOLcombination therapy wil prevent one infected person from infecting another person with hepatitis B or C.
Side Effects of Intron A
- Risk to pregnancy; mental health problems, including suicide; blood problems; heart problems and eye problems.
- Other body organ problems. Certain symptoms, like severe pain in the middle of your body, nausea, and vomiting, may mean that your liver or pancreas is being damaged. A few patients have lung problems such as pneumonia (inflammation of the lung tissue), and inflammation of the kidney. If you are short of breath, coughing, or have severe stomach or back pains or a fever, you should call your doctor right away.
- Thyroid problems. Some patients develop changes in the function of their thyroid. Symptoms of thyroid changes include the inability to concentrate, feeling cold or hot all the time, a change in your weight, and changes to your skin.
- New or worsening autoimmune disease. Some patients taking INTRON A develop autoimmune diseases (a condition where the body's immune cells attack other cells or organs in the body), including rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus eryhematosus, sarcoidosis, and psoriasis. In some patients who already have an autoimmune disease, the disease may worsen while on INTRON A.,
Common but less serious side effects include:
- Flu-like symptoms. Most patients who take INTRON A have "flu-like" symptoms (headache, muscle aches, tiredness, and fever) that usually lessen after the first few weeks of therapy. You can reduce some of these symptoms by injecting your INTRON A dose at bedtime. Over-the-counter pain and fever medications can be used to prevent or reduce the fever and headache. If your fever does not go away you should tell your doctor.
- Extreme fatigue (tiredness). Many patients become extremely tired while on INTRON A.
- Appetite problems. Nausea, loss of appetite, and weight loss occur commonly.
- Blood sugar problems. Some patients develop problems with the way their body controls their blood sugar and may develop high blood sugar or diabetes.
- Skin reactions. Redness, swelling, and itching are common at the site of injection. If after several days these symptoms do not disappear, contact your doctor. You may get a rash during therapy. If this occurs, your doctor may recommend medicine to treat the rash.
- Hair thinning. Hair thinning is common during INTRON A treatment. Hair loss stops and hair growth returns after therapy is stopped.
Who Should Not Take Intron A
Do not take INTRON A alone or in combination with REBETOL if you:
- are pregnant, planning to get pregnant, or breast-feeding
- are a male patient on combination therapy and have a female sexual partner who is pregnant or plans to become pregnant while you are being treated with REBETOL or during the 6 months after your treatment has ended
- have autoimmune hepatitis (hepatitis caused by your immune system attacking your liver) or unstable liver disease (yellowing of the skin and eyes, swelling of the abdomen)
- had an allergic reaction to another alpha interferon or ribavirin or are allergic to any of the ingredients in INTRON A or REBETOL
Recent Forum Posts on Intron A
Site Copyright © 2003-2008 Jalic Inc. All rights reserved.