The below information on Nefazodone Hydrochloride has been taken from official FDA sources, but we cannot guarantee it's accuracy. Please use this site for educational purposes only. This site does not replace a proper discussion with your doctor.
|Brand Name:||Nefazodone Hydrochloride|
|This drug was approved by the FDA in one form or another on:|
|This drug is made in one form or another by the following companies:|
Ivax Pharmaceuticals Inc., Teva Parenteral Medicines, Inc., Sandoz, Inc., Dr Reddy’s Laboratories, Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc.
|This drug is available in the following forms:|
|View the actual FDA approved label for this drug at the following links:|
About Nefazodone Hydrochloride
Nefazodone is a medicine that is used to treat depression.
Side Effects of Nefazodone Hydrochloride
- Life-threatening liver failure. See Warning.
- Suicidal thought or actions. See FDA Alert.
- Low blood pressure (postural hypotension) and fainting. Low blood pressure can be serious for people with heart problems, strokes, dehydration, and who take medicines to control blood pressure.
- Mania: You may become hyperactive, excitable or elated.
- Seizures. You may have a seizure (convulsion), even if you are not taking nefazodone close in time with a MAOI.
- An erection that won't go away (priapism). Get medical help right away for an erection that lasts for more than 4 hours.
- Other side effects include sleepiness, dry mouth, nausea, dizziness, constipation, weakness, lightheadedness, vision problems, and confusion
- Tell your healthcare professional about all your medical conditions especially if you have or have had heart problems, a heart attack, a stroke, or mania; if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant; or if you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed your baby.
Who Should Not Take Nefazodone Hydrochloride
Never take nefazodone if you:
- Have liver problems
- Are allergic to the medicine Desyrel (trazodone)
- Take the following medicines:
- Halcion (triazolam), a drug to treat trouble sleeping. Nefazodone can increase the amount of Halcion in your body, causing serious side effects.
- Orap (pimozide), a drug to treat Tourette’s syndrome, because it can result in serious heartbeat problems.
- Tegretol (carbamazepine), a drug to control seizures. Tegretol can reduce the amount of nefazodone in your body so that it does not help your depression.
- Take another drug used to treat depression, called a Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor (MAOI), or if you have stopped taking a MAOI in the last 14 days. Taking nefazodone close in time to a MAOI can result in serious, sometimes fatal, reactions, including:
- High body temperature
- Seizures (convulsions)
MAOI drugs include Nardil (phenelzine sulfate), Parnate (tranylcypromine sulfate), Marplan (isocarboxazid), and other brands.
Interactions with Nefazodone Hydrochloride
- Nefazodone can interact with Xanax (alprazolam), an anti-anxiety medicine. Your dose of Xanax should be decreased if used with nefazodone.
- Nefazodone may interact with medicines other than the ones already mentioned in this information sheet, causing serious side effects. Tell your healthcare professional about all the medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements you take, especially medicines for mental illness, depression, seizures, and immunosuppressants.
- If you plan to drink alcohol, talk to your healthcare professional.
Recent Forum Posts on Nefazodone Hydrochloride
Site Copyright © 2003-2008 Jalic Inc. All rights reserved.