The below information on Nexium has been taken from official FDA sources, but we cannot guarantee it's accuracy. Please use this site for educational purposes only. This site does not replace a proper discussion with your doctor.
|This drug was approved by the FDA in one form or another on:|
2001-02-20 ,2006-10-20 ,
|This drug is made in one form or another by the following companies:|
AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP
|This drug is available in the following forms:|
Capsules, Delayed Release Pellets
Oral Suspesions, Deleayed Release
|View the actual FDA approved label for this drug at the following links:|
Nexium is used for:
Treating heartburn or esophagitis (inflammation of the food pipe) due to acid reflux disease (GERD). It may be used to prevent stomach ulcers associated with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). It may also be used with other medicines to prevent ulcers of the small intestines.
Nexium is an acid pump inhibitor (or proton pump inhibitor). It works by turning off some of the acid pumps in the stomach lining and reducing the amount of acid backing up into the esophagus (food pipe).
Side Effects of Nexium
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
- Chest pain;
- dry mouth;
- stomach pain;
- throat pain.
- Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue);
- chest, throat, or severe stomach pain.
Who Should Not Take Nexium
Do NOT use Nexium if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Nexium or to similar medications
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Interactions with Nexium
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Nexium . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole) or protease inhibitors (eg, indinavir) because the effectiveness may be decreased by Nexium
- Cilostazol or digoxin, because the actions and side effects may be increased by Nexium
Recent Forum Posts on Nexium
Site Copyright © 2003-2008 Jalic Inc. All rights reserved.