The below information on Ribasphere has been taken from official FDA sources, but we cannot guarantee it's accuracy. Please use this site for educational purposes only. This site does not replace a proper discussion with your doctor.
|This drug was approved by the FDA in one form or another on:|
|This drug is made in one form or another by the following companies:|
Three Rivers Pharms
|This drug is available in the following forms:|
|View the actual FDA approved label for this drug at the following links:|
RIBASPHERE is the antiviral medicine ribavirin. It is used in combination with a medicine called peginterferon alfa-2a to treat some adults with chronic hepatitis C whose liver still works normally, and who have not been treated before with a medicine called an interferon alpha. It is not known how RIBASPHERE and peginterferon alfa-2a work together to fight hepatitis C virus infections. It is not known if treatment with RIBASPHERE and peginterferon alfa-2a combination therapy can cure hepatitis C or if it can prevent liver damage (cirrhosis), liver failure or liver cancer that is caused by hepatitis C virus infections. It is not known if treatment with RIBASPHERE and peginterferon alfa-2a combination therapy will prevent an infected person from spreading the hepatitis C virus to another person.
Treatment with RIBASPHERE has not been studied in children under 18 years of age.
Side Effects of Ribasphere
The most serious possible side effects of RIBASPHERE are:
- Harm to unborn children. RIBASPHERE may cause birth defects or death of an unborn child.
- Anemia. Anemia is a reduction in the number of red blood cells you have. Anemia can be dangerous, especially if you have heart or breathing problems. Tell your healthcare provider right away if you feel tired, have chest pain or shortness of breath. These may be signs of low red blood cell counts.
- Liver Problems. Some patients may develop worsening of liver function. Some of the symptoms may include stomach bloating, confusion, brown urine, and yellow eyes. Tell your healthcare provider immediately if any of these symptoms occur.
Call your healthcare provider right away if you have any of the following symptoms. They may be signs of a serious side effect of RIBASPHERE and peginterferon alfa-2a treatment.
- trouble breathing
- hives or swelling
- chest pain
- severe stomach pain or low back pain
- bloody diarrhea or bloody stools (bowel movements). These may look like black tar.
- bruising or unusual bleeding
- change in your vision
- high fever (temperature greater than 100.5ºF)
- you have psoriasis (a skin disease) and it gets worse
- you become very depressed or think about suicide (ending your life)
The most common side effects of RIBASPHERE are likely to be the same as for other ribavirin products. These are:
- feeling tired
- nausea and appetite loss
- rash and itching
Who Should Not Take Ribasphere
Do not use RIBASPHERE if:
- You are a female and you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment or during the 6 months after your treatment has ended.
- You are a male patient with a female sexual partner who is pregnant or plans to become pregnant at any time while you are being treated with RIBASPHERE or during the 6 months after your treatment has ended.
- You are breast feeding. We do not know if RIBASPHERE can pass through your milk and if it can harm your baby. You will need to choose either to breast-feed or take RIBASPHERE, but not both.
- You have a liver disease called autoimmune hepatitis (hepatitis caused by your immune system attacking your liver).
- You have unstable or severe liver disease.
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients in RIBASPHERE. The active ingredient in RIBASPHERE is ribavirin.
Recent Forum Posts on Ribasphere
Site Copyright © 2003-2008 Jalic Inc. All rights reserved.