The below information on Risperdal Consta has been taken from official FDA sources, but we cannot guarantee it's accuracy. Please use this site for educational purposes only. This site does not replace a proper discussion with your doctor.
|Brand Name:||Risperdal Consta|
|This drug was approved by the FDA in one form or another on:|
|This drug is made in one form or another by the following companies:|
|This drug is available in the following forms:|
|View the actual FDA approved label for this drug at the following links:|
About Risperdal Consta
- Risperdal is in a class of medications called atypical antipsychotics. Antipsychotic medicines are used to treat symptoms of schizophrenia that may include hearing voices, seeing things, or sensing things that are not there, mistaken beliefs or unusual suspiciousness.
- Risperdal may be used alone or with lithium or divalproex for short-term treatment of mixed or manic episodes in adults who have a condition called Bipolar I disorder. Bipolar disorder is a mental illness that causes extreme mood swings.
Precautions for Risperdal Consta
- Dizziness, and sometimes fainting, caused by a drop in blood pressure may happen with Risperdal, especially when you first start taking this medicine or when the dose is increased.
- Risperdal may impair judgment, thinking, or motor skills. You should be careful in operating machinery, including automobiles, until you know how Risperdal affects you.
- It is important to avoid overheating and dehydration while taking Risperdal. Risperdal may make it harder to lower your body temperature.
Side Effects of Risperdal Consta
The following are the risks and potential side effects of Risperdal therapy. However, this list is not complete.
- Increased chance of death in elderly persons. Elderly patients treated with atypical antipsychotics, such as Risperdal, for dementia had a higher chance for death than patients who did not take the medicine. Risperdal is not approved for dementia.
- A life-threatening nervous system problem called neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS). NMS can cause a high fever, stiff muscles, sweating, a fast or irregular heart beat, change in blood pressure, and confusion. NMS can affect your kidneys. NMS is a medical emergency. Call your healthcare professional right away if you experience these symptoms.
- A movement problem called tardive dyskinesia (TD). Call your healthcare professional right away if you get muscle movements that cannot be stopped.
- High blood sugar and diabetes. Patients with diabetes or who have a higher chance for diabetes should have their blood sugar checked often.
- Strokes have happened in older patients treated for mental illness from dementia. Risperdal is not approved for this use.
- Other serious side effects may include low blood pressure seen as dizziness, increased heart beat and possibly fainting, seizures, persistent erection, thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (seen as fever and bruising), increase or decrease in body temperature, and difficulty swallowing.
- The most common side effects include anxiety, uncontrolled movements, constipation, nausea, upset stomach, runny nose, rash, vision changes, saliva increase, abdominal pain, inability to control urination, weight gain.
Interactions with Risperdal Consta
Because certain other medications can interact with Risperdal, review all medications that you are taking with your healthcare professional, including those that you take without a prescription.
Your healthcare professional may have to adjust your dose or watch you more closely if you take the following medications:
- blood pressure medicines
- levodopa and medicines called dopamine agonists
- fluoxetine and paroxetine
Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Risperdal.
Recent Forum Posts on Risperdal Consta
Site Copyright © 2003-2008 Jalic Inc. All rights reserved.