The below information on Spiriva has been taken from official FDA sources, but we cannot guarantee it's accuracy. Please use this site for educational purposes only. This site does not replace a proper discussion with your doctor.
|This drug was approved by the FDA in one form or another on:|
|This drug is made in one form or another by the following companies:|
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
|This drug is available in the following forms:|
|View the actual FDA approved label for this drug at the following links:|
Spiriva HandiHaler is used for the treatment of breathing problems in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Spiriva is a maintenance bronchodilator. It helps to keep narrowed airways open. Spiriva does not treat sudden episodes of breathing problems (bronchospasm).
Precautions for Spiriva
- Spiriva capsules are used only with the HandiHaler device. Do not use the Handihaler device to take other medicines.
- Do not swallow Spiriva capsules. The powder in the capsules is inhaled using the Handihaler device.
- Store Spiriva capsules in the sealed blister strip until ready to use. Only open the blister strip enough to remove one Spiriva capsule. Spiriva capsules must be used right away when removed from the blister strip or they may not work as well. Throw away Spiriva capsules that are exposed to air and not used right away.
- Do not get Spiriva powder in your eyes. It can affect your vision for awhile.
Side Effects of Spiriva
Serious side effects include (see General Precautions with Spiriva):
- serious allergic reactions
- breathing problems (paradoxical bronchospasm)
- worsening of symptoms in people with narrow-angle glaucoma, enlarged prostates, and bladder blockages
Some common side effects with Spiriva include:
- dry mouth
- increased heart rate
- blurred vision
- problems with urination
Who Should Not Take Spiriva
Do not use Spiriva if you:
- are allergic to atropine or any medicine that contains atropine.
- are allergic to any of the ingredients in Spiriva.
Recent Forum Posts on Spiriva
Site Copyright © 2003-2008 Jalic Inc. All rights reserved.