The below information on Sustiva has been taken from official FDA sources, but we cannot guarantee it's accuracy. Please use this site for educational purposes only. This site does not replace a proper discussion with your doctor.
|This drug was approved by the FDA in one form or another on:|
|This drug is made in one form or another by the following companies:|
DuPont Pharmaceuticals Company
|This drug is available in the following forms:|
Tablets and Capsules
|View the actual FDA approved label for this drug at the following links:|
- Sustiva is used in combination with other anti-HIV medications to treat HIV infection.
- Sustiva is not a cure for HIV infection. You may continue to develop infections and other complications associated with HIV disease. There are no data that Sustiva can reduce the risk of transmitting HIV to others through sexual contact or blood contamination.
Precautions for Sustiva
- The long-term effects of Sustiva on HIV infection are not known at this time.
- Tell your health care provider right away if you experience delusions, unusual behavior, or suddenly feel depressed.
- Avoid taking Sustiva while using alcohol or drugs that affect the mind or behavior.
- Sustiva may cause dizziness, problems concentrating and/or drowsiness. Therefore, do not drive or operate heavy machinery until you know how you will react to Sustiva.
- Sustiva may cause a skin rash in the first or second week of treatment.The rash generally lasts less than a month.However, some patients develop a severe rash with blistering.Rash occurs more frequently in children than adults.In a small number of patients rash may be severe.If you develop a skin rash tell your health care provider.
- If you have or have a history of hepatitis, or if you are taking other medications that are harmful to the liver, see your health care provider for regular monitoring.
- Your health care provider may want to check your cholesterol levels regularly while you are taking Sustiva.
Side Effects of Sustiva
Tell your health care provider about any side effects you have.
If you experience dizziness, difficulty concentrating, drowsiness, unusual dreams, or trouble sleeping, tell your health care provider. These symptoms can begin during the first few days of taking Sustiva and usually go away after 2-4 weeks of treatment. Taking Sustiva at bedtime can help, and is recommended for the first few weeks of treatment
Skin rash is a common side effect of Sustiva especially in children. (See General Precautions)
Other side effects may include:
- upset stomach
- difficulty concentrating
- feeling tired
- trouble sleeping
Recent Forum Posts on Sustiva
Site Copyright © 2003-2008 Jalic Inc. All rights reserved.