|Strength(s):||200 mg and 400 mg|
|Dosage Form(s):||Tablets and intravenous solution|
|Company Name:||Bristol-Myers Squibb Company|
|*Date Approved by FDA:||December 17, 1999|
|*Approval by FDA does not mean that the drug is available for consumers at this time.|
What is Tequin used for?
Tequin is an antibiotic used to treat adults with lung, sinus, or urinary tract infections and also to treat certain sexually transmitted diseases caused by germs called bacteria. Sometimes viruses, rather than bacteria, may infect the lungs and sinuses (for example, the common cold). Tequin, like all other antibiotics, does not kill viruses.
The sexually transmitted disease called gonorrhea is treated by Tequin. Other sexually transmitted diseases including syphilis and non-gonococcal diseases are not treated by Tequin.
Who should not take Tequin?
You should not take Tequin if you:
- have ever had a severe allergic reaction to any medicine in the group of antibiotics known as "quinolones" such as Cipro (ciprofloxacin) or Levaquin (levofloxacin).
- have a rare condition known as congenital prolongation of the QTc interval. If any of your family members have this condition, you should inform your health care provider.
- have a condition known as hypokalemia (low blood potassium). Hypokalemia may be caused by medicines called diuretics such as furosemide and hydrochlorthiazide. If you are taking a diuretic you should speak with your health care provider.
- are taking certain medicines to treat an irregular heartbeat.
General Precautions with Tequin:
- Individuals who take Tequin should not drive or operate heavy machinery until you know that Tequin does not cause you to get dizzy.
- Individuals who take Tequin should avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight. Although not reported with Tequin, certain other quinolones increase the sensitivity of the skin to sunlight, and severe sunburn may result. Call your doctor if you experience severe burning, redness, itching, rash, or swelling after exposure to the sun while taking Tequin.
What should I tell my doctor or health care provider?
- Tell your health care provider if you are trying to become pregnant, are already pregnant, or are breast-feeding. The effects on the unborn child and nursing infant are unknown.
- Review ALL medications that you are taking with your health care provider, including those that you take without a prescription. Tequin can interact with other medicines, including multivitamins. To avoid possible additive drug effects, Tequin should not be taken together with certain medications (such as quinidine, procainamide, sotolol, and amiodarone) that affect heart the electrocardiogram test. In theory, this could result in a dangerous heart rhythm disturbance.
- Some medicines also produce an effect on the electrocardiogram test, including cisapride, erythromycin, some antidepressants and some antipsychotic drugs. These may increase the risk of heart beat problems when taken with Tequin. For this reason it is important to let your health care provider know all of the medicines that you are using.
What are some possible side effects of Tequin? (This is NOT a complete list of side effects reported with Tequin. Your health care provider can discuss with you a more complete list of side effects.)
The side effects of Tequin are generally mild, but serious side effects have been reported in people taking this class of drugs. These reactions may occur after taking just one dose. If you experience any of the following side effects, stop taking Tequin and call your doctor:
- an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives)
- central nervous system (CNS) side effects including: seizures, dizziness, confusion, tremors, hallucinations, depression, or suicidal thoughts
- pain, inflammation, or rupture of a tendon
Tequin is generally well tolerated. The most common side effects that can occur when taking Tequin are usually mild, and include:
- Stomach pain
For more detailed information about Tequin, ask your health care provider.