The below information on Xenical has been taken from official FDA sources, but we cannot guarantee it's accuracy. Please use this site for educational purposes only. This site does not replace a proper discussion with your doctor.
|This drug was approved by the FDA in one form or another on:|
|This drug is made in one form or another by the following companies:|
F. Hoffmann–La Roche, Ltd.
|This drug is available in the following forms:|
|View the actual FDA approved label for this drug at the following links:|
Xenical is used to help obese people who fit certain weight and height requirements lose weight and maintain weight loss. Xenical works in your intestines, where it blocks some of the fat you eat from being absorbed. This undigested fat is then eliminated in your bowel movements. Use Xenical together with a reduced-calorie diet. The weight management effects of Xenical continue only as long as you are taking it.
Precautions for Xenical
- Your daily intake of fat should be evenly divided over 3 main meals.
- Xenical can decrease the absorption some fat-soluble vitamins and beta-carotene. Therefore when being treated with Xenical, take a multivitamin supplement that contains vitamins D, E, K, and beta-carotene. Take your multivitamin once a day at least 2 hours before or after taking Xenical, such as bedtime.
- Review all medications that you are taking with your health care provider, including those that you take without a prescription. If you are taking cyclosporine you may have to be monitored more closely.
- If you are diabetic, Xenical may affect your blood sugar control. See your doctor regularly for monitoring and treatment adjustments.
Side Effects of Xenical
- Oily spotting
- Gas with discharge
- Urgent need to have a bowel movement
- Oily or fatty stools
- Oily discharge
- Increased number of bowel movements
- Inability to control bowel movements
Who Should Not Take Xenical
You cannot take Xenical if you:
- have problems absorbing food
- have gallbladder problems
- are pregnant, or breast-feeding a child
People with certain kidney problems may not be able to take Xenical.
Recent Forum Posts on Xenical
Site Copyright © 2003-2008 Jalic Inc. All rights reserved.