The below information on Xifaxan has been taken from official FDA sources, but we cannot guarantee it's accuracy. Please use this site for educational purposes only. This site does not replace a proper discussion with your doctor.
|This drug was approved by the FDA in one form or another on:|
|This drug is made in one form or another by the following companies:|
|This drug is available in the following forms:|
|View the actual FDA approved label for this drug at the following links:|
Xifaxan is a nonsystemic (does not get into your bloodstream) antibiotic used to treat diarrhea caused by eating food or drinking fluids that have been contaminated with germs called bacteria.
Side Effects of Xifaxan
Some common side effects with Xifaxan include:
- flatulence (gas)
- stomach pain
- sensations of needing to empty the bowel
- urgent bowel movements
Who Should Not Take Xifaxan
- If you have fever and/or bloody stool you should not take Xifaxan and you should speak to your doctor.
- Xifaxan should not be used to treat a form of diarrhea known as dysentery.
- Do not take Xifaxan if you have ever had an allergic reaction to any of the group of antibiotics known as “rifamycins” such as rifampin or if you are allergic to any ingredient in Xifaxan.
- Xifaxan is not approved for use in children under 12 years of age.
Recent Forum Posts on Xifaxan
Site Copyright © 2003-2008 Jalic Inc. All rights reserved.