Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Benicar

Notices

Old 06-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Julie

Default benicar

I started taking benicar on Oct 10. I am a retired nurse with systolic hypertension(systolic 150-165). I had been taking hydrochlorothiazide with very little change in bp. I was started on 40 mg of benicar daily. There was almost no change in bp for the first 2 weeks, By the third week my systolic pressure was in the 130's. However,I felt terrible. I was anxious, irritable and my joints began to hurt. I have a connective tissue disease and I thougt that I might be having an attack. Although, I have not had any joint symptoms in 10 years. On Oct 31, I became extremely dizzy and my systolic had dropped to 100. I stopped taking the benicar on Nov 2. I went to see my physician on Nov 7. I had difficulty getting up from a chair without feeling that I was going to faint. I hurt all over and<br>was tired and anxious. My physician did blood work and checked me over. He really did not listen very well to my symptoms.I told him that I couldn't tolerate the dizziness. He acted as if I was not being objective about the medicine and said that it was too bad that I couldn't take it because " It's a good medicine". I was left rather frustrated when he pressed a sample bottle of Norvasc in my hand and told me to try that. I knew that there was something else wrong with me, but he wouldn't listen. In the past week, I have had Rotater Cuff surgery because I had a bad tear. I was having the rotator pain when I went to my physician, but that didn't cause hip, knee and foot pain. I do not have any anxiety,dizziness ,joint or foot pain and I am only 10 days out from the surgery. I am convinced that the Benicar was responsible for the dizziness, joint pain, and the anxiety feelings. Now my problem is that my systolic pressure has returned to the 150's and I am scared to take the Norvasc. I have called my physician's office to make sure that Norvasc is the proper drug for me and they haven't called back. I need a scientific approach where some listens to the data and lets me know if Norvasc is the next line of defense when Benicar doesn't work.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Unregistered

Default No Subject

Im not sure you are in to herbal medicines but the grape seed extract along with milk thistle may give you the results your looking for with no side effects.<br>hope this helps.