Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Keppra

Notices

Old 09-07-2003, 05:00 AM
Tammy

Default Keppra

My son is 5 years old and having seizures and taking different kinds of medicine all the time is very new to us since we just found out 1 year ago that he was having seizures. He starts taking the keppra today, (September 6), and after reading some of the other responses on this web-site, I'm very afraid for him. At 5 years old he doesn't, or can't always tell us what he's felling, for example, I don't think he will be able to tell us he's feeling depressed, or angry, so I'm very upset about giving him this medicine, I'm hoping for the best and he would be seizure free after taking this medicine and I hope that Keppra will make all of his seizures go away. <br><br>If there is anyone else out there who has a young child with seizures and would like to exchange e-mails, please e-mail me. It would be nice to have someone else to talk to about this because we don't know anyone else who has seizures and we can talk to. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:00 AM
Unregistered

Default keppra

I have been on Keppra for the last 4 months. It is one of the best available as I have been told. I think my only current problem is overdosage at present time. Feel free to ask questions.
Old 09-21-2003, 05:00 AM
Jean

Default No Subject

I understand your fears about this medication. My daughter is going on 6 and had two seizures over the summer. The doctor started her out on Tegratol but she had an alergic reaction so she is now taking Keppra. She has been on it for 3 weeks. I have noticed her to be more irritable and she cries more easily. We see the doctor again in 2 weeks and I will be discussing this with her. I too am afrad that she will not be able to express to us if she is depressed. Someone suggested that I look into an anti-depressant for her, but I don't really want to drug up my little girl.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:00 AM
missy

Default keppra & surgery

My daughter will be six in Jan. She has been on keppra for four months. She has gained six pounds, cries much easier, wakes up about 3-4 a.m. three or four times a week, seems to be more sensitive to sound, not quite as happy-go-lucky sweet little girl she used to be. One month ago was so stressful. She started kindergarten and cried everyday on the way home for two weeks and kept telling me you just don't understand. She loves school. I guess it was too much to process at one time. She is much better coming home now. <br>Do you know anything about Keppra and anestehsia? I will be calling our neurologist first thing monday but just found out yesterday she will be having a surgical procedure unrelated to her petit mal seizures in a couple weeks and am worried about the med and being put to sleep.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:00 AM
korri

Default No Subject

My son will be 5 next month. There has always be something worng, When he was really little he would trun blue around the mouth. He would also seam to ignore us when he was much to little to do it on purpose. Well 1 year a go he had a grand mal on Halloween. It turns out that he has complex partial brain seizures. In just over a year we have sean 5-6 bigger ones and lots of quite seizures. At frist they put him on a med which he was allergic to, they then put him on Keppra. He started out at one half tab of 250's now he is maxed out at 4 250's and they are now adding Troliptal. He did very well with the Keppra at frist he went from a furstrated non verbal little boy to, a walking, talking wealth of knowledge. I was so impressed with the Kreppa, with him never talking much and haveing speach proublem. We were all blowen away. Now the Keppra isn't enough. He has been in school for 2 years ( speach proublems , which trun out to be from the seizures). All of his teacher are saying that something is worng. Every time they increse the Keppra he seams to move forward in leaps and bounds, he would get a few months out of each increse. Now just a few weeks. As I read the other messages I feel very blessed for my little boy, he could be so much worse. I'm just so worried and the Dr. just say that this won't kill him. I'm thankful for that, but like all parents I want so much more for him.<br>I didn't intend to leave such a long reply. It does feel good to put it all down in words.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Frances

Default Have a child with seizures:

Tammy,<br><br>Hi, I have a daughter 101/2 that also has seizures and has been diagnozed since the age of 3. I would love to talk more with you about all this if u want. My email address is duckie_angel66@yahoo.com if you wish to discuss this matter more please email me.<br> God Bless,<br> Frances
Old 12-03-2005, 06:00 AM
shelby

Default keppra

tammy my 6yr has been on keppra since dec.she seems to be doing well she is still having seizures but we are hoping for the best. e mail me we will talk thanks shelby
Madelyn

Default No Subject

My son has been on Keppra for 2 months now. He had a seizure on June 1st of this year for the first time ever. I haven't really noticed much change in him other than a little hyperactivity and I would say he is a little moody at times. I am very concerned about giving him any type of anti-seizure medication since he has been very healthy until now and the side effects really worry me. He is a very smart little boy with a very outgoing personality and my fear is that this medication will make him a different person. It is nice to find people with the same concerns. Please email me and give an update. Everyone's emails and comments are welcome.
debby

Default regarding keppra

this is for the woman named Tammy who has the 5 year old son who recently started taking Keppra.please e-mail me.
melissa tolson

Default keppra?

dear tammy I have two children who have different kind of seizures my daughter just started kepprd this is her fifth medication and i just want say hang in there I ve been dealing with my childrens seizures for seven years andi thought i would be used to it by now but I am not if u want to talk please email good luck