Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Avelox

Notices

Old 03-20-2011, 01:38 AM

Default Avelox Experience - Never again

After the past 24 hours of Avelox, I want it posted on all my medical records that I want no part of this drug unless it is a life and death disease with no other possible alternatives!

I went to my Doctor with a mid grade fever, sinusitis and bronchiatis. I have taken a number of antibiotics over the years including Levaquin which is similar in drug class I was told and have never had a negative reaction.

I filled my perscription to the tune of $172.00 after discounts and took the first dose around 6:00 p.m. yesterday. Within the first 15 minutes I had the feeling of strange dry heat that was seemingly coming from the inside out and pins and needles tingling in my head neck chest and extremities.

Two hours later I was sweating profusely, trembling arms like someone with Parkinsons.

I did not have any of the weird mental feelings described in other posts, but I had a very restless night of not being able to sleep more than 2 hours at a time.

When I awoke the next morning I felt extreme prostration that went beyond the expected fatigue of a sinus and bronchial infection. I felt like passing out and my heart rate seemed very rapid. So I checked my blood pressure which is generally a normal 115/65 for me. This morning my bp was 85/45. Ok so now this has my attention and I called the Doctors weekend number. He told me to check into the emergency room and have them take a look.

The Doctor at the ER told me Wow that's a pretty strong drug and further said "Like throwing a grenade to break up a neighborhood fight." WTH????

So they did a chest x-ray to be sure pneumonia and then sent me home with a prescription for Zithromax. I hope to be back to my normal healthy self in the next few days.

The experience not only cost me stress and concern, and an evening in the ER. It also cost me big dollars for a drug that needs further investigation before it is allowed to be routinely prescribed for bronchiatis or sinusitus. The paperwork info for Avelox says it can be used successfully to prevent and treat Anthrox in the event of bio terrorism so perhaps this drug should be saved for such conditions as that.

This is at least for me a case of the side effects out weighing the benefits.