Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Definity

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 12:45 AM

Exclamation Reaction/Pain

I had a cardio stress echo earlier today. The definity dye was used in small doses 3 separate times during my 30 minute test. The test went well and I was feeling fine until I went to sit up and get dressed. First the palms of my hands became bright red and started itching like crazy! I was itching them like mad and showed the tech what was happening. He seemed surprised because he had not seen this kind of reaction before. Next the bottoms of my feet started itching as well- although not as severely as my hands. When he left the room to let me dress, my upper back between my shoulder blades started aching severely I couldn't catch my breath and I felt like someone had punched me full throttle in my upper back!! Positional changes did not help at all! I was really scared because I knew it had to be a reaction, ( I'm a RN) but they did not seem to think this was "typical" and thought it was due to a massage I mentioned I had had the day before. NO WAY WAS THIS TRUE! after offering some ice for my back and letting my lie down for 20 minutes or so I finally left feeling 90% better. My hands were no longer itchy and red and my upper back pain had pretty much resolved. The Tech told me that if it were a reaction that I should have had it immediately and in my LOWER back. My point is this: people are unique and can react in different "expected" ways. It wasn't until I did some research that I learned my reaction was unique to the Heart Clinic I visited, but not to this drug!!!!