Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Provigil

Notices

Old 09-27-2003, 05:00 AM
Yolanda

Default No Subject

I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. Even though it is mild, I am extremely sleepy during the day. I am not sure if the apnea is causing this or not. My doctor just prescribed me Provigil. I haven't started taking it yet, but I need to know if it is really going to help me. Basically, I need to know which is worse, excessive sleepiness or side effects of Provigil? Could someone give me their opinion?
Old 12-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Debbie

Default provigil

after more than 5 yrs of various antidepressants and nothing that worked, at least not well, I c/o to my md about how I still had no energy. He replied that he had never viewed me as a depressed person, but when I called or went in for appt. my chief co was always, focus on various household duties and organization poor. Fatigued, becoming a total couch potato and a little anti-social. Finally, he mentioned the possibility of Adult A/D. Not knowing much about provigil and being a nurse, I immediately read all I could find. I am on 100 mg. daily x one week and already can tell so much improvement. Unfortunately BC/BS ins. will not pay for this med. So, an appeal has been made. This medication is wonderful so far, only side effect is a H/A and am hoping these will d/c soon.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:00 AM
Unregistered

Default No Subject

I have narcolepsy and was falling asleep behind the wheel every time I got into a car to drive. I also have fibromyalgia. I have taken provigil for almost 3 years. I take 200 mg a day and an extra 100mg when needed. It seems to be working well as long as I take it consistently. On weekends when I do not have to drive, I tend to skip it, which I am not supposed to do.<br><br>I have had no side affects that I am aware of. My energy level is usually very good. I teach junior high students and feel I am alert and very even tempered when I take 100 mg at 6 am, 100mg at noon, and 100 mg at 4 pm. <br>I do not feel I have developed an addiction to the drug and I have had not weight loss, depression, or nerveousness.
Katie

Default Provigil

I have had no side effects from Provigil. Maybe I am just one of the lucky ones but I have not had one side effect, and the benefits outweigh the side effects
Okie

Default reply

I have hypersomnia (found out in April) and I take Provigil when I have to be some where that I must be alert and focus - like class. I have found it to really help. I don't have any side effects but then again I don't take it every day. I have the 200 mg and I break that in half and take it about 8:30 in the morning. I am still wide awake and it is 11:30pm. I do take a mild sleep aid (walmart brand and only one not two as recommended) but that is to sleep with the "head harness" that is required for sleep apnea. I have not lost any real weight - but I need too! I wish that was what happen to me...although I must say my clothes fit better - so maybe I am!! It won't hurt me to loose 50 lbs.<br>I think it is well worth taking when you need to be alert and awake. It says that it is addictive - and so that is why I don't take it except when I have to be alert - about 3 days a week most of the time.<br>I hope it makes you more alert like it has me - and I just hope there are no real bad things that come about later on - like some drugs, i.e. Vioxx.<br>Good health is a real thing to value - and sometimes we don't until we don't have it!<br>Good luck.<br>