Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Strattera

Notices

Old 09-12-2003, 06:00 AM
Parents going insane

Default Not working

We have a 6yo boy who weighs 45lbs. Throughout daycare, we stuck to our guns about no meds, even when we were kicked out of 7 daycares in 6 months. Then kindergarten started and the first 9 weeks showed him as failing. His teacher called daily and he was in the principals office each day. He came home and said "I hate myself". That was it... We gave in, called the doctor and said we'd try the Adderal. We used time release Adderal. It helped him in class (he quit hurting children, concentrated on his work, listened to the teacher, sat in his chair) but for the entire year he did not gain 1 ounce or height and had trouble sleeping at night. We took him off for the summer and voila, he gained 5lbs and grew an inch. We decided that there was nothing that could make us put him back on the meds. One week into 1st grade, 6 phone calls from the principle, 2 parent teacher conferences and a write up from the after school program later, and we were in the pediatricians office asking about Strattera. She put him on 25mg of Stattera, 2 1/2 weeks ago. Since then, he has been kicked out of his one after school program (he has to be there just 1/2 hour per day), been written up at his new one, and we've had numerous phone calls and emails from the school. His behaviour has not improved one iota. Have we given Stattera enough time to start working? If Stattera isn't for us, then what is? We need help, please!
Old 09-27-2003, 06:00 AM
Mary

Default Straterra

I gave my 14 year old Straterr for the first time last night. After trying every other type of ADD drug out there, I wanted to see how this new non-stimulant drug would work. He was prescribled 40 mg.<br><br>Well I have to say that I will throw away the bottle. About an hour after he took his med, he got very aggressive (verbally) almost abusive towards me and my other son. He was sooo bad that he made himself go to bed early because he couldn't control his behavior--and he knew it!!<br><br>This morning he told me he would never take it again. We probably should "give it a chance", however, neither one of us want to experience an episode like that ever again!!!<br><br>Concerta has been our best bet! Time released. It made him a little groggy but the doctor said if we adjust the dose then that side effect should go away.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:00 AM
Unregistered

Default Give it tme

My boy is on strattera. I am seeing improvments.But I was told by my Doc.<br><br>to give it two weeks to a month before we would know if it's working and <br><br>if need to up the dosage. I am also using behavior modifcation. We put off<br><br>using medication for over a year because of other heath problem. It has <br><br>been the best thing we could of done with him. Give it more time, talk to <br><br>your doctor about uping the dose. By this time last year he had been in real trouble at school. This year the teacher says he's a joy to have in <br>class and very respecful.
Tom

Default Stratter Alternative

Prescription for Nutritional Healing, by Phyllis A Balch and Dr James F Balch, is a book that has information on ADD and ADHD and the nutrition that is recomended. Our 9 year old Grandson has been using nutrition and it works as well as stattera with none of the side effects of the drug.<br><br>
Jeri

Default No Subject

My son is on Concerta and it has been working pretty well he's been on it for about 2 years now. You may want to try it there may be some loss of appetite and he didn't gain weight much at first but those are the only side effects I've seen in him. <br><br>After reading your comments on Strattera I don't think that I will even give it a try, as that was the direction I was leaning toward.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:00 AM
Unregistered

Default No Subject

My 9 year old son is on Strattera. We stuck with it for a couple of months and have finally started noticing an improvement in his ability to focus. If your child does not seem to be having any adverse reactions to the medication, you should stick with it for a while.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:00 AM
Tracy

Default No Subject

My son who is 8 years old has ADHD. We have tried Adderall, Adderall Xr and we are now on Focalin. It has made a wonderful difference. The phone calls have stopped from school and he is doing great as far as school work goes.
Unregistered

Default No Subject

After 2 horrible years for my 9 year old daughter, we finally discovered she was not ADHD, but bipolar. It turns out that the new thinking is that many kids are diagnosed with adhd when what they really have is childhood onset bipolar. We swithced her meds to a mood stabilizer and to strattera and she is doing AWESOME!! She is stable and our house is peaceful. We are so happy with the results and she is thrilled to function like a normal kid. Anyway, my advise to to find a great child psychiatrist that can help you sort your situation out. Many doctors look at the behavior and automatically call it adhd. If your son is not responding to the medication maybe he has a condition other than adhd. Be persistant, your son and you deserve the best care!! It took us 3 doctors and 2 years before we hit on the answer, but it was worth the work.
Unregistered

Default Strattera

I just found this web site, but I may have a few comments that may help. My 11 yr old has been on a number of meds that have not been effective, the last being a combination of metadate cd & welbutrin. We are starting her on strattera & the doc said give it at least 3 wks because it may take that long to build up. It's a non-stimulent drug so effects are not immediate. After 3 wks we'll back off the other two drugs & evaluate. Some times a drug combination is needed- such as adding an ssri such as zoloft. Be open to frequent adjustments with the meds. Every child is different & sometimes it takes a bit to get the right combo. I'm still working on it but progress is being made. Hope this is helpful.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Unregistered

Default No Subject

One thing that is not clear from your comment is "are you following a medical protocol for trying the drug". Specifically, all meds for ADHD have a recommended time they should be tried. Before starting the dosage, this should be made clear to the parents by the prescribing Doctor/Psychiatrist. The doctors should know what drugs are from the same families in order to avoid duplication of problems. If the doctor can not answer these questions, get another one that specializes in ADHD. Next the parents and caregivers (school teachers, daycare) are give pre- trial and post-trial questionairres to be filled out. The school and school nurse is informed of this. These are evaluated, and only with this info can you objectively judge whether this is working or not. If adverse reactions, of course call the office and get reassurance or have an agreement to stop treatment.