Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Trileptal

Notices

Old 09-27-2003, 05:00 AM
Unregistered

Default 6yr on Trileptal for mood disorder

My daughter is 6 years old and diagnosed with Attention-Deficity Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD). She has been taking Strattera for her ADHD for several months now, and all went well to begin with. Lately she has been going through what appears to be mood swings, so the doctor prescribed her Trileptal about a week ago. She now has boundless energy, is very moody, and only sleeps for a few hours at night. Her teacher has commented that she is more disruptive in class, can't sit still, and does not follow directions... teacher says she is a totally different child since starting the Trileptal. I've done a lot of online research, and this is the first place I have heard anybody mention Trileptal being used for mood disorders (bi-polar). Everywhere else it says that it is used strictly for seizure disorders, which my daughter does NOT have. I am having serious doubts about continuing this medication with her, and would like to hear comments from others.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:00 AM
Joseph

Default Trileptal for Bi-polar

I have been taking this for 10 months for bi-polar and it has been working well. I understand it is used widly for this yet I can not find any info on the internet about it except for epalepsy. If you find anything I would love to see it.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:00 AM
Perry

Default child meds

If you are convinced that this medication is causing your daughter harm, then I suggest you take her off the drug immediately or however you are supposed to discontinue it. You are the ultimate authority on your child. Some drugs do wonders for a great many people but their are ALWAYS people who do not respond well. Consult your physician or your child's primary care giver immediately. ADHD is properly dealt with using a combination of medicine and special treatment in the classroom. Check to be sure it is not your teacher who is disruptive to children with learning disorders. Join a support group with other parents. This can be a real boon to getting all kinds of useful information and sharing experiences and things that work. Best of luck.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:00 AM
Unregistered

Default No Subject

<br> My daughter is 13 yrs. old and has ADHD and mood swings, which commonly go along with ADHD. She was taking adderall which helped a great deal. For some reason her doctor wanted to try her on Strattera instead of adderall When we did all of her ADHD symptoms and mood problems got worse. <br> She had to be taken off of Strattera and put back on Adderall and she is now doing well.<br> It sounds like all the symptoms you have discribe may be all ADHD related and the Strattera may not have been completly helping the problem.<br> You might talk to your doctor about trying her on just Adderall. Sometimes the stimulant drugs still work the best,with very little side effects.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:00 AM
Tammy

Default ADHD/ODD/

Hello! I have a daughter who was diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, SI, OCD, anxiety disorder, depression, etc. at the age of two. We have been on all the ADHD medicines, and she started having mood swings and violent outbursts lately, (the last six months-year). I even put her in a hospital, she was there 11 days and they didn't help at all. We ended up going to a pychiatrist and she put my daughter on trileptal, she has been on it for three 1/2 weeks now, going up in dosage each week. NOT one ciolent episode so far, the doctor said that these kids are common for having seizures going on in their brains, not detectable by an EEG or MRI, like epilepsy is. She recommended a book, I got it, and wow, does it make sense. It has been very helpful!! The other thing the doctor said was that once we get the brain stable, she will put her back on her medicine for adhd,ODD, OBC, etc. That she deals with the core issue and then goes from there, then she knows what works and what doesn't. The name of the book she recommended is "Change Your Brain Change Your Life," The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger, and Impulsiveness. It is by Daniel G. Amen, M.D., he also has a book out on ADHD, he specializes in it also. My daughter is nine, and this is the first time we have had hope that there is an answer for why she is the way she is and how to control it. I have always found the best doctors, had every test ran on her, etc. but this is the best thing that has helped. The doctor also said that until you find the right dose with this medicine that there won't be much of a difference in behavior, etc. My daughter isn't being violent, she is happy, she is so hyper right now because of the ADHD, but she will add medicine for it soon, not soon enough some days, for those around her. My daughters teacher said the same thing, she is about to crawl out of her skin, she won't be quiet, she can't sit still. But the ADHD medicines have masked the core problem, we are now dealing with it with this medicine, then will add her adhd meds back. Hope this helped. The book is awesome. Explains so much. Its the best!!
Old 12-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Unregistered

Default Trileptal for BiPolar and Strattera

I was prescribed Strattera for ADHD as well and I found that it did absolutely nothing for me except make my mood swings worsen. I am now on Adderol and was just prescribed Trileptal. I am not sure whether or not the combination of the two will work, but if your daughter is on Trileptal and Strattera at the same time, that may be the problem. <br><br>I truly found that concierta and adderol work a lot better for me than the strattera did becuase I had always been tired and sleeping through class. Im a high school senior and that cuased a lot of problems for me. I needed a stimulant for my ADHD rather than a non stimulant. You may want to talk to your doctor about a stimulant along with the Trileptal, but you may want to give this drug a chance because it is newly used (within the last three years) for Bi Polar and mood disorders. I have read t hat it has helped a lot of people and I hope that it works for me as well.<br><br>But with your daughter you may want to try to change the medication for her ADHD because when I went on it, my school work and behavoir went sopiraling downward, that is something to think about. I hope this helps you out.
Mrs. Metz

Default Trileptal/ADHD

My son is 11 years old,and has ADHD,ADD he has been on numerous different meds and I have never been told for him to take this.He takes Concerta once daily and Methylphenidate twice a day.Sometimes he has problems with being still in class but thats okay, he is an A,B student so far this year.You might want to ask your childs Dr. about these meds.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>< br><br><br>
Anonymous

Default ADHD/ODD

Thank you for your post on your daughter and taking Trileptal for ADHD/ODD. My son is 6 yo and starting taking Trileptal a few days ago. The boundless energy and disruptive acts are amazing. He is also not sleeping and complaining of headaches and scary nightmares. I am comforted that we are not the only ones questioning this medication. Thank you for your post!
Unregistered

Default No Subject

My son is bi-polar, 13, he was diagnosed at 10. We tried depakote, lithium and others. He has been on trileptal for 6 months, it did take time to work, a month or so. He is doing great. I feel like I have my son back. He also takes concerta and geodon for ADHD and pyschosis. Good Luck to you!
Old 12-03-2005, 06:00 AM
Chrisitne

Default trileptal

My 7 yr old daughter is bipolar and odd, we just started trileptal about a week ago too, but she was once on strattera ,which made her go into rages. If you were having the mood swings before the trilptal maybe you should question the mediaactions she was already on. We have been through a number of meds, some work for a while then have to be changed , others have the oppissitte effect than we need.