Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Welchol

Notices

Old 12-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Tina

Default Welchol Diarrhea

Hi, my name is Tina. 2 1/2 years ago I had a gastric bypass and still have chronic diarrhea. I just had every test run and nothing wrong with my upper and lower GI, and nothing wrong with my colonoscopy. I also do NOT have high cholesterol. Like another from this message board, my doctor prescribed Welchol for my diarrhea. From all the research I've done so far, this drug, Welchol, is to control cholesterol. Please let me know if any of you took the Welchol for diarrhea and how it worked out for you. Alot of posts I read on this site seems to repeat the fact that is causes fatique. Well, I already have cardiomyopathy (weak heart) and fatique is already a major problem in my life. I'd appreciate any info anyone can offer.<br><br>Tina <br>tinamadisonville@aol.com
Old 06-27-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina View Post
Hi, my name is Tina. 2 1/2 years ago I had a gastric bypass and still have chronic diarrhea. I just had every test run and nothing wrong with my upper and lower GI, and nothing wrong with my colonoscopy. I also do NOT have high cholesterol. Like another from this message board, my doctor prescribed Welchol for my diarrhea. From all the research I've done so far, this drug, Welchol, is to control cholesterol. Please let me know if any of you took the Welchol for diarrhea and how it worked out for you. Alot of posts I read on this site seems to repeat the fact that is causes fatique. Well, I already have cardiomyopathy (weak heart) and fatique is already a major problem in my life. I'd appreciate any info anyone can offer.<br><br>Tina <br>tinamadisonville@aol.com
Hello Tina,

I've had chronic diarrhea for the past 7 years, since I was in Europe during 911. I've had 2 colonoscopies, a number of upper G.I tests, you name it. I told my Dr. I've been taking Imodium every day for the past 7 years and he put me on Welchol. I don't have high cholesterol or diabetes either, yet I can't find anything on the internet regarding Welchol being used to cure diarrhea. Your is the first message I've read regarding Welchol's use for diarrhea sufferers. I also suffer from chronic fatigue and no one has ever told me that diarrhea might be caused by fatigue or vice versa. We seem to be 2 peas in a pod, if you know what I mean. Good luck with you situation and let me know if welchol continues to work for you. P.S. what part of the country do you live in? I'm curious if it's in the water or our food source. I live in Northern Utah where it snows 9 months out of the year, our last snow storm was June 3rd if you can believe it.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:21 PM

Default Welchol

Hi! I just wanted Tina and James to know that I was prescribed Welchol due to the fact that I had constant diarrhea for many years because I had my gallbladder removed. I recently went through batteries of test and everything came out fine and the doctor explained to me when some people have their gallbladder removed, they can not digest any kind of fat and it is dumped right into their intestines which causes bacteria build up and diarehha and what Welchol does it absorbs all of the fat you eat so it does not go into your intestines. The doctor told me it works like a sponge. I have been on this medicine for 2 weeks and it has totally changed my life and I recommend that you at least try it.

I hope this info helps.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:27 PM

Default Welchol for Diarrhea

Wlechol has helped me alot with the Diarrhea. Have U recently had your GB removed, if so there is a good chance your liver is producing too much bile salt. Bile sale will also irritate your colon (Burning). The only thing Ive noticed since Ive been on it is tooth pain or sensitivity , I take vitamins and calcium for this. Definetly helps with Dia You can also try Metimucal it helps me as it absorbs access bile and firms up your stool. Then You can leave the house and live again. Hope this helps
Old 02-22-2016, 04:41 PM

Default Welchol 625 mg.

My wife had her gallbladder removed 5 years ago and had off and on bouts of diarrhea. We seemed to be able to control it for the most part with diet by adding enough 'good' fats to handle the excess gall.
1.5 years ago a part of her colon died and 18" of the assenting colon had to be removed. This is the primary place where much of the moisture begins to be removed from her stool. The results was constant diarrhea.
Her GI put her on Welchol twice a day, at first up to 4 PD. We have finally cut back to 2 PD and have controlled her diarrhea amazingly. Also her cholesterol was OK but it's improved and her A1C numbers have become excellent 5.0.
We have Medicare Advantage and were forced to switch this year because the other insurance quit the program so we are not starting the fight to get this much needed medicine approved under the new policy.

For my wife who has two problems that cause diarrhea it has been a wonder drug, while improving her 'good' cholesterol and keeping her from being type two diabetic. I hope this info gives you some hope that it may also work for you.