Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Xopenex

Notices

Old 06-06-2005, 05:00 AM
Don

Default Xopenex in Infants

Our pediatrician just prescried Xopenex for our one-year old son. He does not have asthama, but rather bronchitis. I was looking through the literature, and seem to find that the FDA has only sanctioned the use of this drug n children over 6 years old. Can anyone comment on the legality/ethics/common medical practice of something like this?
Old 12-03-2005, 06:00 AM
Unregistered

Default No Subject

I have a seven month old daughter. She was just given Xopenex for bronchitis treatment. I didn't realize the age limits until coming across this website. My husband is a paramedic and had told me how strong of a medication it is and that he is not allowed to administer in the back of an ambulance. However, she is feeling and breathing much better. And is always in a good mood now. But she only has to take it for eight days.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:29 PM
Unregistered

Default xopenex in infants

My 6.5 month old son was diagnosed with bronchiolitis and prescribed Xopenx (.63MG) and Pulmicort for his "wheezing". My gut feeling was that this seems like an agressive form of treatment;however, my husband felt that I was being overly concerned. I have noticed that my son is agressive after the treatments (only done for three days, slight scratching on legs/arms, and has no appetite immediately following treatment. I contacted the drug company, Xopenex, and they admitted that there has been no testing for children under 6yrs. and to contact my doctor. Now I am going back and questioning my pediatrician and whether there is a better treatment that less controversial. thanks!