Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Xopenex

Notices

Old 09-07-2003, 06:00 AM
Unregistered

Default No Subject

We are wondering if anyone has experienced an increase in hyperactivity and aggressivenss, or uncontrolled behavior when his/her child has taken xopenex. Perhaps these behaviors are related to our child being sick at the time. Would love a response. Also xopenex is not FDA approved for children under 12 but our child is 6 and it has been prescribed to him. I know other children this age must be using the same drug. Please respond.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:00 AM
Unregistered

Default No Subject

My child is 3 and has been taking Xopenex for about a year now. I was also wondering if this is something my child should be taking due to it not being approved by the FDA for children under 12 years of age. I have voiced my concern to my doctor, because I dont ever see a significant improvement in my childs asthma attacks when after treatment has been given, yet he becomes very hyperactive and agressive after each treatment. I was assured that if treatment every four hours is followed the benefits are many and the increase in activity is a side effect that will subside as he gets older.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:00 AM
Betty Edmond

Default just wondering

Hello my daughter is only 2 year old and she have been giving xopenex and I have found out that it is for adults and 12 year old. I want to know is it to strong of medication for my two year old. Will someone please respond
Old 10-18-2003, 06:00 AM
Unregistered

Default No Subject

Xopenex is simply a long acting form of albuterol, which is about all we have had to reverse asthmatic bronchospasm in the past. The FDA approval is based on the fact that the drug company did not test this drug on children under 6 (it is approved for children 6 and older). It has nothing to do with it being too strong.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:00 AM
charlie

Default No Subject

My 8 yearold has just been diagnosed with asthma and is traking xoponex. She was hyper, irritable and unusually aggressive.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:00 AM
J

Default No Subject

My daughter is 2 1/2 and has been on and off Xopenex and Pulmicort the last 8 months. <br>The doctor has now ordered a blood test for her to determine allergy/asthma. Can they identify if she has asthma from a blood test? <br>Well, sfter the next week, she will be off the xopenex, but she will remain on 2 treatments of Pulmicort throughout the winter.
Beth Trexel

Default Ok for kids

I am a respiratory therapist and xopenex is an improved form of albuterol. It is as safe for young children as albuterol. In fact it works better than albuterol and has less side effects. In fact at some pediatric asthma hospitals, it is the only bronchodilator they use for their asthma kids. I use it for my own two year old.
Unregistered

Default No Subject

Xopenex is NOT simply a long-acting form of albuterol as stated in the 10-18 reply. The chemical compound has been modified from that of albuterol to isolate 1 of the 2 isomers contained in the chemical compound of albuterol. Although Xopenex contains the "active ingredient" isomer and does not contain the clinically inactive isomer, a higher incidence of side effects can actually be seen when used at doses equal to the active ingredient in regular albuterol (according to Xopenex's own studies). This may be due to the fact that the inactive isomer they removed actually has qualities that enable it to buffer some of the side effects.<br><br>10/18 is right, though, in stating that it is FDA approved in children 6 and up now and that no studies have been done in children younger than 6. Of course, you should always consult your physician and remember that he or she has prescribing discretion, but Xopenex's prescribing information lists the FDA approved ages, the dosages, and number of times per day its use is recommended. This information can be located easily online.
Unregistered

Default No Subject

YES! My son is 3 1/2 and has only used Xopenex four times over a two day period and he became a different person! He was very hyperactive and aggressive. Then there were times he would just stare off into space. He did not eat for three days straight! I would NOT recommend this drug to any young child unless their breathing issues were life threatening! I was so happy to finally get my son back, however it took a few days for the xopenex to get out of his system.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Unregistered

Default Hyperactivity and aggressiveness

My son has been using xopenex for the past 2 yrs and I have noted signs of hyperactivity and aggressiveness (hitting and loud outbursts) after use. Unfortunately, these fits don't occur after EACH use, but they have occured in the past. He does calm down after a bit, but the outbursts and hyperactivity.