Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Xopenex

Notices

Old 02-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Meg

Default infant 5 mos

Does anyone know if this drug is safe for infants?? My son just started this medicine due to bronchial pneumonia. From what I am seeing it has been helping him get better and his breathing has become a lot more clearer, but I am concerned because I read that it causes you heart rate to speed up. This is very scary to me and I don't know if him being on this medicine is really necessary. He is so young, I am not sure about it. Is there anyone who would have more info about this or an opinion??<br><br>Thanks, <br><br>worried mom
Old 05-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Terri

Default No Subject

My daughter (7 mos) was prescribed .31mg in a nebulizer. I've given her only 2 treatments so far - 1 trying to use an child mask and another just using the mouthpiece attachment pointed towards her face. I'm still skeptical about giving her such a large doseage, so am not worried that she isn't really getting the full affect / full coverage into her lungs. She was prescribed this as a precaution to prevent her lung congestion from spiraling toward more serious respiratory problems. So far, I'm not seeing any of the major side effects and do see that she is a little more comfortable breathing after the treatments. I'm still evaluating over the weekend & will discuss again with the pedi on Monday. HTH
Old 05-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Unregistered

Default No Subject

I am wondering the same thing. My daugther is just shy of 4 months and was prescribed it (Xopenex) today for bronchiolitis. Now I'm scared because I read about the fact that no testing on children under 6 yrs has been done. Not sure what to do, but it seems to be prescribed a lot for infants.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:27 PM

Default infany 10 months

My daughter is 10 months old. I have no idea about the FDA approval for a child under 6 years old. However my child can breath a lot better after a treatment. I do not place the mask flush on her face, I hold it infront of her as the nebulizer is on.
She has not had any side effects from what I can gather but I will post again if things change.

Good luck.