Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Tequin

Notices

Old 10-18-2003, 05:00 AM
Dean

Default Tequin Safe?

I have heard this pill causes sever hypoglycemia, followed by severe hyper glycemia. It also causes hepatitis, kidney failure and gastrointestinal problems and sepsis. How can the FDA approve an antibiotic like this?
Old 12-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Anita Wells

Default tequin/ hypoglycemia

My husband has severe COPD as well as diabetis. He was prescribed tequin on three different occasions for upper respitory infections. The first time he took it we noticed that all of a sudden his blood sugars began running in the normal range despite the fact that they were usually much higher. a rather nice side effect we thought. The next time he took the tequin his blood sugars dropped somewhat lower than normal.<br>The last time he took the tequin within hours he was diaphoretic and his blood sugar was 45. Even after giving him orange juice, coke, and hard candies for the duration of the night his blood sugar was only 47, having gone as low as 37 during the night. I do not know if the tequin affects the blood sugar directly or if it was an interaction between the tequin and his blood sugar meds. He was taking glucophage and actos for his blood sugar. I asked the pharmacy if they knew of that type of reaction. At first she said there was nothing listed, but then she looked somewhere else and said that there were aftermarket reports of that sort of thing. <br>She said that if glycemia occured it was within 4 or 5 hrs after starting the tequin, and if Hyperglycemia occured it was a couple of days after starting the tequin. <br>My husband is on different glucose medication now but we will not use tequin in case the same thing were to happen again.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Anita wells

Default tequin/ hypoglycemia

Correction to the glucose meds listed in my reply. It should say glucophage and glucotrol. I am not sure what the actos was for.<br>
Old 12-03-2005, 06:00 AM
Del Rey

Default Causing Hep?

Hepatitis is a disease and antibiotic can cause it. Maybe you are thinking that it causes problems with the liver, which can cause hep. symptoms to appear.