Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Zyprexa

Notices

Old 11-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Jinny

Default For how long?

I have been on Zyprexa for more than 5 years. My doctor says that I cannot stop taking it unless I first replace it with another anti-psihotic. I tried Geodon and Abilify but it didn't work and now I am back on Zyprexa. I think it would be much easier to simply decrease the dose and then stop taking it. Has anyone tried to stop Zyprexa? Has any doctor approved/recommanded that?
Old 03-19-2009, 12:23 AM

Default getting off zyprexa

i have taken zyprexa for about eight years now. i started at 2.5 mg and for a brief period was forced to take 10 mg. doctor reduced it to 5 mg for about a year after that, and then took me off cold turkey. the results were tragic. i was in agony for about two weeks until my appointment and i was then put back on 7.5mg. this was with california state provided health services.

i started receiving different treatment while overseas from a private doctor. my dosage was reduced to 2.5 mg. after returning to the states i made sure i kept seeing private / hmo doctors.

since then in the past three years i have reduced my dosage to about 0.8 mg. the first year or so, with the observation of my loved ones and my doctors, i reduced from 2.5 mg to 1.25 mg. then the second year reduced to 0.8 mg (1/3 of 2.5mg).
currently i'm relatively stable at 0.8 mg.

my doctors, especially the state doctors did not approve of lowering dosage. however, with the stable results were willing to treat me as reduced dosage.

Last edited by paul; 03-19-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:31 AM

Default what

r 2 taking it for? im currently on 20 mgs a day of Geodon. i hav been on it for almost 5 weeks. it makes me really tired & everything still seems very foggy unless i just take my pill. i was thinking about switching to something a lil bit less expensive. i hav high deppression, very high anxiety, paranoia, OCD, & posably a borderline personality disorder. im wondering how this might work for me????
Old 06-16-2010, 01:37 AM

Is2cute try abilify. I know I'm replying a year late but try it if u haven't already. That was my problem too. Price is the same but results are great.
U have to be slowly stepped off a med u CANNOT go off cold turkey. U will end up in the hospital. Zyprexa is one of the worst too since its so strong. U feel the affects right away if u miss even one dose.
I'm on ability and just got off zyprexa. I took geodon for some time as well. I also take lithium, & effexor
Good luck and best wishes to u all