Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Abilify

Notices

Old 09-14-2008, 09:58 PM

Default Drain Bamage/ Brain Damage

Hello Lucky Abilfy Recipients,

Yes, psychiatric medications suck (in general) and I am thinking that Abilify may need to change their name to Debilify. I am trying it out and am on day two. I have a history of closed head injury ( 14 years ago) , post traumatic stress disorder and dissociative disorder. I have pretty intense mood swings and have been occasionally diagnosed with bi-polar disorder by lazy government psychiatrists who don't seem to have time to listen to my history or look at my MRI's.

So far on the "Abilify" I have noticed, drowsiness, difficulty reading, vivid dreams/nightmares and problems with coordination. I am only taking one mg.

I have had some luck in the past with Ritalin which helped with concentration and had a calming effect. I don't think that it is great for regular long term use though and I haven't used it since college.

It is too early to tell where this ride will take me but I am already tempted to jump off. My partner has noticed increased slowness and a new blunted affect ... ( which must be very attractive, I am sure.) I am extremely sensitive to medications and I hear this is common for people with head injuries.

I have had some major bad reactions to meds in the past, especially anti-depressants which make me super-agro-agressive. (Paxil was HELL).

I have had my greatest improvements with meditation as opposed to medication.

I'll try to stick it out with Abilify for at least a week. I do feel "FLAT" and although that doesn't feel "good" it is a nice break since I am usually very volatile emotionally and I can be prone to some pretty intense rages (Once a week - to once per month, more often during Presidential elections). I hope that I don't have to become a zombie 7 days a week to avoid these stupid episodes.

Keep Being Courageous and Beautiful,

Lisa
Old 09-21-2008, 11:30 AM

Default Must Read

Lisa,

Closed head trauma can, as you already know from your experience, greatly affect your "mental outlook." My son's 12 years of unsatisfactory experience with many drug treatments (the latest being Abilfy) for his situation led me the book, Change Your Brain, Change Your Life. This is a must read for anyone with head trauma!!!!

The approach described in the book is one of first diagnosing the physiological functioning of specific areas of the brain itself. Approaching the brain as an organ like any other (liver, heart, lung, etc.) that must be able, at a physiological level, to perform its intended function. This is done through something called a "SPECT scan." This scan measures activity levels of specific areas of the brain.

For your brain to be physiologically capable of performing all of its functions the activity levels of each area of the brain must be functioning within the normal range for that area of the brain.

If one or more areas is/are not physiologically capable of functioning within their normal range, there are PREDICTABLE BEHAVIORAL OUTCOMES. In other words, if a specific area of your brain has damage from the head trauma, there is an entirely predictable set of behaviors that can and most likely will result.

If the specific damaged area can be treated (by drug, meditation or other therapy) to improve the physiological functioning of that damaged area, those behaviors will automatically begin to subside.

The problem is that most psychology type doctors don't use SPECT scans for this level of diagnosis because it is "too new" meaning it has only been in use as a diagnostic tool in this field since the mid-1990s. The problem is that these doctors attempt to diagnose and treat behavior patterns caused directly by, to them, unknown levels of damage to unknown specific areas of the brain. They are attempting diagnosis using the secondary effects (behaviors) instead of the primary cause (physiological brain function capabililty)

I am just a layman, a dad who is trying to do the best for my son. I am not a doctor. But, I strongly suggest you get a copy of the book, Change Your Brain, Change Your Life, and read it. The limited success of Ritalin suggests you should read Chapter 7 on the Prefrontal Cortex at the very least. I think you will find it interesting.

Bruce

Last edited by brucemoen; 09-21-2008 at 11:33 AM.