Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Actonel

Notices

Old 10-18-2003, 05:00 AM
Gail

Default premenopausal

I am a 41 year old female who has been prescribed Actonel. All the info I've read indicates this drug for menopausal women. Is this drug safe for me since I still have regular periods? Also, am I to continue to take Calcium and Magnesium supplements. I know I should avoid taking them for at least 30 minutes after Actonel but need to know if I should take them at all.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Kathleen

Default Actonel and supplements

I have taken Actonel for 3 years. I have Osteoporosis at 41. I haven't had any side effects. You should wait at least 2 hours before consuming any calcium product. Continue to take your supplements, they do help.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Kitty

Default No Subject

Postmenopausal. The doctor prescribed Actonel for me. I have read a lot of data on the web concerning this medication. My first reaction to the side effects was I do not think so. I have a sensitive stomach and I take other medications. There must be an alternative. Go to Dr. Helen Pensanti website and read the data on osteoporosis medications. You will be amazed and shocked.<br>
Old 12-03-2005, 06:00 AM
Christy

Default magnesium

I am presently considering taking a magnesium supplement...still checking it out...did you start before you started the Actonel, or along with it? For how long did your supple. last before starting the Actonel, and where was your BMD scans? Things to ask-yourself. Keep searching the Actonel sites...as I had seen a magnesium note...in surfing...keep looking. Sorry, don't recall exactly what it was and don't want to say what I "think" it was...put in Actonel and magnesium in your search engines and see if you can find it...and repost here...if it is contra-indicated. C.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:00 AM
Theresa

Default No Subject

I am in the same situation as you: I'm scared to take Fosamax (it's like Actonel). I just turned 42, still have my period & my doctor prescribed Fosamax because my bone density is showing signs of weakening (I haven't filled that prescription yet). I have been taking Citrical w/Vitamin D and Fosamax, like Actonel, says that calcium supplements might interfere with it. I researched Fosamax on the Internet & read complaints about the side effects from that drug, too! I don't know what I should do!
Old 08-19-2007, 11:28 PM
jdkitty

Default Actonel

I have taken 4 doses of Actonel, and quit. It makes me feel like a ball is stuck in my throat and causes acid reflux and back pain. And, my hands/fingers started peeling. I had a complete hysterectomy 15 yrs ago and after a recent bone density test was told I had pre-osteoporosis. The doctor gave me a once a week Actonel pill. I HATE it and WON'T take anymore! I'm going to try the Helen Pensati calcium/osteroporosis pills. I also take Caltrate D and potassium daily. Surely there's got to be a better way than the Actonel/Fosamax!!