Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Exelon

Notices

Old 08-21-2003, 05:00 AM
Debbie

Default Exelon and vomitting

My mother who is 61 years old is taking a low dosage of Exelon. The doctor wanted her to increase it but every time my dad gives her a higher dose she has severe vomitting. Is there anything out there to help with this side effect.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:00 AM
CARRIE

Default NAUSEA

I've been researching this subject on the net and the only thing that I have come up with regarding vomiting and nausea is to make sure that the dose is given with a full meal. It is apparantly absorbed very quickly into the system if given on an empty stomach, which causes or increases theses adverse effects. My mom has been slowly increasing her dosage over the last 3 months. Her appetite has decreased, she's lost a few pounds and has some nausea but she does have some good days here and there. Hopefully once she has been taking the full dose for a while these effects will subside. It could be that your mom just cannot tolerate this drug. Maybe her doctor should try out a different medication.....
Old 12-03-2005, 06:00 AM
carrie

Default more info

This is a quote from netwellness.org.... "As with all medicines, yes, there is a potential for side effects. However, most people will tolerate at least one of the medicines with no side effects at all. The side effects that do occur most commonly are things like nausea, loss of appetite, loose stools, or diarrhea. They might occur when the medicine is first started, and typically will reduce as time passes, even to the point of disappearing. At the higher doses, these kinds of side effects occur more frequently. There really aren't a lot of ways to reduce those particular side effects except lowering the dose or changing medicines. Exelon seems to have the highest risk for side effects and Aricept the lowest. Exelon and Reminyl can be taken with food to reduce the side effects but Aricept does not have that same kind of responsiveness to food. It's important also to recognize that people with pre-existing digestive problems are likely to have side effects at a higher rate than those who do not." <br>
Old 12-24-2010, 05:31 PM

Default exelon side effects

After being put on exelon patch, my mom had a long episode of projectile vomiting. She continued to have lack of appetite, weakness, and nausea so the decision was made to take her off of it. Within 24 hours, she was noticeably better. In our case, any possible benefit was greatly out-weighed by the side effects.