Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Abilify

Notices

Old 09-07-2003, 05:00 AM
Unregistered

Default OCD/Depression

My best friend currently takes Lexapro and Abilify. She has been diagnosed with depression and OCD. She doesn't talk about her medication often and has not specified whether she is taking abilify for schizophrenia or OCD. Her trichomania has improved greatly, but she hasn't slept in weeks. She always seems tired and almost moves in slow motion. She doesn't display any schizophrenia characteristics, but i am concerned about her abilify prescription
Old 09-27-2003, 05:00 AM
Unregistered

Default No Subject

I was diagnosed Schizophrenic by one phyciatrist, yet showed no symptoms. Then I went to another doctor and they told me I wasn't. However Abilify can be taken for OCD or major depressed people as well. Unfortunately, I have all of those. However, I could tell you that some schizophrenic people you wouldn't know that they were. Talk to you friend, and if she isn't comfortable, I would understand, it's pretty difficult to talk about when you don't know many people like you. I did take Lexapro too and that is an antidepressant, it made me really really sick and my friend too who was also on it. She may just be really depressed. If I can be of any help reply.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:00 AM
Melina Messer

Default Abilify and Lexapro

I also take Abilify and Lexapro which doesnt seem to cause any side effects was taking Paxil then Paxilcr before hand and it caused me to gain alot of weight.Just wondering if anyone else has had The Side effect of weight gain while taking Lexapro and Abilify.I have been on Lexapro and Abilify for several months havent noticed anything yet but still worry about weightgain
Old 12-03-2005, 06:00 AM
Mark

Default abilify and schizophrenia

After my first manic episode, which resulted in hospitalization, I ended up on an array of psychiatric drugs.<br><br>I was quite horrified upon discharge, when I had opportunity to start reading about these drugs -- I learned that most of them were primarily used for schizophrenia. I felt that whilst I KNEW I was quite sick(mentally), I also felt I knew that my symptomology wasn't congruent with that of schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorder.<br><br>A few years on, I know now that there are MANY drugs which were first used for schizophrenia, which are now used (FDA Approved, or off-label) to help with other mental illness. Just as there are drugs used principally for depression (ie zoloft), which also find use in helping people with conditions such as OCD.<br><br>Just because somebody is taking Abilify, certainly does not imply that they are szhizophrenic.<br><br>My diagnosis is Bipolar Disorder, yet in the years since that first manic episode, many of the drugs prescribed to me (as an 'add on' treatment to my lamotrigine) have included abilify, risperidone and zyprexa - all of which would classically be called 'drugs for schizophrenia'.<br><br>The symptoms of many mental illnesses overlap, and so do the treatments.<br><br>I would certainly not assume that your best friend has schizophrenia. <br><br>I would also like to emphasise that the stigma and general community's understanding of schizophrenia is very skewed. If you ask 10 random people in the street, I'm sure most would tell you that schizophrenia is having a "split personality" - it certainly is not, and it is an illness that takes many forms, from very profound and obvious, to quite subtle(except for the individual suffering the disorder.) I am sure that there are people you know, and feel you know well, who in fact have schizophrenia. <br><br>I would also speculate that somebody who has disclosed to you that they have OCD, would not also be willing to disclose that they have schizophrenia (if that was the case) - both are unfortunately stigmatized and subject to very inaccurate stereotypes. <br><br>In my opinion, all these terms - schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression and OCD are all just diagnostic labels. They describe sets of clustered(or comorbid) symptoms occuring together under the name of a 'disorder'. The labels do not do much other than facilitate targetted treatment that has been found to be useful in people suffering from a similar cluster of symptoms.<br><br>Hope that helps, feel free to email if you want me to clarify anything.<br><br>Regards,<br>...Mark
Old 09-10-2007, 12:07 AM
WPL

Default Lexapro and Ability

My daughter has been on 10 mg of Lexapro and 5 mg of Ability for about 1 1/2 years. She is very tired in the evening - but pretty good energy during the day. Around 8:00 pm she is pretty much exhausted. If we did not stop her, she would eat and not know when to stop. She has gained a lot of weight. She is being treated for pre-schizophrena, anxiety, OCD and ADHD. She is 16 and is doing pretty well in school.