Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Actos

Notices

Old 09-27-2003, 05:00 AM
Julie

Default Pregnancy and actos

I am 37 years old and three months after going on actos, I became pregnant. My only other child is thirteen. Luckily my glucose numbers were low enough to produce a beautiful, perfect little girl. It was difficult to take 200 units of insulin a day and experience late night sugar lows but definitely worth it. Since I stopped breastfeeding and went back on actos it has been difficult to maintain my sugar though. I'm already taking 45 mgs and having 140 blood sugars in the am. I guess I should exercise, eat right and lose weight and see what kind of difference that makes.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:30 PM

Smile Pregnancy and Actos

I'm not surprised you got pregnant three months after starting actos...one of the things that can happen with diabetes is insulin resistance. When your insulin isn't working right, it can cause anovulation. Because diabetes medication helps correct insulin resistance, ovulation (even the release of more than one egg at a time) is more likely. In the US, the FDA requires a warning label on diabetes medications saying something to the effect that pregnancy is more likely while taking this medication.

While I don't have diabetes, I do have insulin resistance. I have a severe case of PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome and I'm considered pre-diabetic. My doctor has chosen a more out of the box approach to help treat my condition...I take actos. Everytime I go to the endocrinologist, she gently reminds me that losing even 5 lbs can a big difference in how well my body processes both glucose and insulin. Over the past year or so, I've lost about 21 lbs, and I can attest to how right the doctor was. When I have my blood sugars checked, they are now more in the middle of the normal range, rather than on the high end of the range. My insulin levels have finally leveled off too.

Congratulations on the new bundle of joy and I wish you all the best with your weight loss efforts.