Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Prialt

Notices

Old 02-07-2008, 06:56 PM
LizE

Default dilaudin-prialt interactions

Meditronic pain pump- already have dilaudid 22mg intrathecally per day.. want to decrease the dilaudid and replace it with prialt? Want to know if there are any withdrawls possible. Or if anyone has experienced any problems with this. Have had chronic pain since 5/5/85..Several surguries. some pretty major last two on the spinal cord itself..Need relief from the pain. Running out of options..Need advice...Don't want to spend the rest of my life in pain..with no relief and lying in bed..Help...
Old 12-17-2008, 06:53 AM

Default Prialt/Dilaudid Pump Interactions

I had Prialt introduced to me about 2 months ago and it's been a rough road so far. The beginning was a lot of nausea and vomiting, headaches, trouble swallowing, general body pain. I told my Dr. about this and he said everything I was feeling was normal and not to worry. I'm now into my 3rd dose of Prialt and it's mixed with Dilaudid and Baclofen. My Dr. began increasing my pump and large rates and within 2 days of this increase, I was hallucinating, massive swelling to my legs, severe pain, and sleepiness. Went back to Dr. and told him I was skeptical and he said it was no big deal and he explained that when you mix Dilaudid and Prialt intrathecally, they don't mix well and swelling is a side effect of that. Has anyone experienced any adverse symptoms to Prialt and Dilaudid in their pump? I'm not a fan of Prialt but I can't get my Dr. to listen. Sure could use some advice/words of inspiration or otherwise. Thanks-
Old 01-30-2009, 04:30 AM

Default No To Prialt

I have had Prialt in my pump for 6 months now and I'm just about at the end of my rope. I've experienced hallucinations, both physical and auditory. My memory is no longer something I can rely on. While I will say that Prialt does give a certain amount of pain relief, the real question is, at what price? I've never, ever considered suicide until I was given Prialt.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:20 AM

Hello, I am new to this, but I also have Prialt in my implanted pump. I have been on this drug since September 2008. I have had 6 spine surgeries, ( plate in my neck, herringrod down the center of my back and a plate at the lower back). I haev had 3 pain pumps. That's another story! I have nerve damage in my legs) to many to know how many spinal block, burning of the nerves, steriod injection and steriod by mouth. I was also on many different pain medications (by mouth and in my pump) before the Prialt. My doctor admitted me the hospital September 11, 2008 to stop my pump and to clean it out and my system before the Prialt was put in. I was on a morphine drop and It took 5 ivs before they could get a hold on my pain. once the pump was stopped. That was a rough 3 days. I left the hospital in a wheel chair and had to walk with a cane. My doctor started the Prialt a drop a week. I mean a drop. He turned it up every week. If I didn't feel good that week he would go back down for me, So he tried to make it easy for me. At first I had headaches and sick on my stomach. He gave me break through medication to take every 4 hours. that helped plus medication for the sickness. I have had a few side effects but they go away in 2 to 3 days. (I do have some stories to tell) He went from a 3.9 to 4.2 this time. stating I could handle it. It has been rough for the first 2 weeks. My memory and my speach was effective. I am on my 3rd. week and I am getting back to normal. Thank God. I have learnt that this drug may show signs of working even a month later. So now he willl leave it up to me, if I want to go up next month. I am here if there is anyone that would like to talk. I have had a hard time as anyone would have with this condition. I don't know how I would live without it. Having a pain pump inside your belly and being on a drug like Prialt is enough to drive a person crazy and it is hard when your family don't have a clue on what you are going through. Hang in there! wavedreamer1
Old 01-31-2009, 04:26 AM

Default HANG IN THERE, I am also tired of the side effects!

I have been on Prialt since september 2008 and it is not easy. Don;t fell alone, there is others. wavedreamer1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post
I have had Prialt in my pump for 6 months now and I'm just about at the end of my rope. I've experienced hallucinations, both physical and auditory. My memory is no longer something I can rely on. While I will say that Prialt does give a certain amount of pain relief, the real question is, at what price? I've never, ever considered suicide until I was given Prialt.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:37 AM

Lightbulb I was admitted to the hospital!

I was admitted to the hospital to change the medication in my pamp. They had me on a mixture of morphine and dilaudid. I have had 6 spine surgries and 3 pumps )that is another story. I have nerve damage and the pain was more then I could handle. I have been on prialt since September 2008. Hate that I just found this site. Need to talk, I am a good listerner. wavedreamer1

used:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizE View Post
Meditronic pain pump- already have dilaudid 22mg intrathecally per day.. want to decrease the dilaudid and replace it with prialt? Want to know if there are any withdrawls possible. Or if anyone has experienced any problems with this. Have had chronic pain since 5/5/85..Several surguries. some pretty major last two on the spinal cord itself..Need relief from the pain. Running out of options..Need advice...Don't want to spend the rest of my life in pain..with no relief and lying in bed..Help...
Old 01-31-2009, 10:27 PM

I saw my doc yesterday and he dropped the prialt back down for me, in hopes of side effects going away. I've had hallucinations, sleep walking, short memory loss, depression. I could continue with the side effects but I think you get the idea. How are your kidneys doing? Almost a month after getting Prialt, my right side and back began hurting. The pain got so bad, I went to the hospital. After 2 ct scans, one with differentials and one without, doc told me she saw nothing that looked bad. I know something is going on but can't get docs to listen.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:05 AM

Default Hanging in there.....

My pump is turned pretty far down now and it's been 2 days since I had it done. My head is clearer but physically, I feel tired and achey all over. My big question is, should I keep trying the prialt? Maybe I'm just more sensitive than some. If I knew it was going to get better, I think I would be able to hold on a bit longer. I was told nothing but good about Prialt and when bad things began happening, I was told, "it's no big deal, you'll feel better soon". By the way, anybody ever have swelling from the prialt/baclofen/dilaudid mixture in your pump?
Old 09-26-2009, 11:21 PM

Unhappy My husband and PRIALT

My husband had prialt in his pump and in Oct of 2007 he ended up in the hospital.Psychotic "side effects".I don't know if anyone has had the same experience as him, but we have had a LONG hard time even after the drug was taken out.He still suffers from paranoia,kicks alot @ night,depression and memory loss to name a few.He use to be an active man and now he doesn't like to leave the house.Has a rage that is hard to control now-mood swing?And feels like no one understands.The Drs say that after the prialt was taken out he shouldn't have ANY side effects-I find this to be not true.He looks so lost @ times and I am so sad,mad and confused @ what I can do.He is getting counciling but he is not the man I knew.Really needs someone who is experiencing the same-is ANYONE going through this?Pls let me know-so he knows hes not alone.He needs support.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:11 AM

Default Lost Alone And Weak.. I Am That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by akspecial View Post
My husband had prialt in his pump and in Oct of 2007 he ended up in the hospital.Psychotic "side effects".I don't know if anyone has had the same experience as him, but we have had a LONG hard time even after the drug was taken out.He still suffers from paranoia,kicks alot @ night,depression and memory loss to name a few.He use to be an active man and now he doesn't like to leave the house.Has a rage that is hard to control now-mood swing?And feels like no one understands.The Drs say that after the prialt was taken out he shouldn't have ANY side effects-I find this to be not true.He looks so lost @ times and I am so sad,mad and confused @ what I can do.He is getting counciling but he is not the man I knew.Really needs someone who is experiencing the same-is ANYONE going through this?Pls let me know-so he knows hes not alone.He needs support.
FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS I HAVE BEEN LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE MARRIED A UNBELIEVABLE UNDERSTANDIN WIFE, I WAS A VERY GET IT DONE PERSON, WORKED HARD, AND WAS A GO GETTER, I AM 53 M WITH ACUTE DIABETIC NEUROPATHY AND HAVE LOST MY LIFE PRETTY MUCH TO PAIN, I KNOW MY WIFE MUST FEEL AS YOU DO BECAUSE AS I TELL HER THIS IS NOT WHAT SHE BARGAINED FOR WHEN WE MARRIED, DEPRESSIONS, LOST FEELINGS AND THE PAIN IS SOMETHING ONLY I CAN FEEL, I KNOW SHE FEELS SAD, LOST AT TIMES AND JUST DOES NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO, FRUSTRATION OF MY PAIN SOUNDS JUST LIKE YOUR HUSBANDS, I HAVE TURNED IN TO ANOTHER PERSON AND WITHOUT HER I AM SURE I WOULD SURELY HAVE COMMITTED THE ULTIMATE SIN, SORRY FOR YOUR HELL BUT YOU ARE MOST LIKELY THE ONLY THING THAT REALLY MATTERS TO HIM...I ALWAYS FEEL THAT MY WIFE SHOULD HAVE ME GO AND LIVE ALONE JUST BECAUSE OF THE MISERY SHE HAS TO GO THROUGH SEEING ME GO THROUGH THE PAIN. I WOULD RATHER SEE MY WIFE WITH SOMEONE ELSE AND HAPPY, SOUNDS STRANGE BUT I LOVE HER MORE THAN LIFE AND DON'T THINK ITS FAIR HER LIFE HAS TO COME TO A HALT BECAUSE OF MY MEDS, NEEDS AND PAIN.
HOPE THIS HELPS, I AM THINKING OF TRING PRIALT BUT THERE ARE A LOT OF HORRIBLE STORIES ON THIS DRUG, I NOW AM TAKING 8 SHOTS OF 4MG 1 CC DILAUDID JUST TO GET BY AND I HATE IT....GOOD LUCK
DIABETIC 53 M WITH CRONIC NEUROPATHY IN BOTH FEET, 5 YEARS OF PAIN, 2 YEARS OF COMPLETE MISERY , PAIN LEVELS AT 5-8 AL THE TIME, NOW ON 4MG 1CC IM DILAUDID AND HATING IT, WANT TO HEAR MORE ABOUT PRIALT, THEY SAY ITS MY LAST RESORT?? LOOKING FOR HELP FROM OTHERS TO TALK TO ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THIS NIGHTMARE!
SURGERIES: DELLON PROCEDURE NERVE DECOMPRESSION...EPIDURAL INJECTIONS, SPINAL CORD STIMULATER,