Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Zometa

Notices

Old 07-05-2005, 05:00 AM
Suzanne

Default Zometa & Osteoporosis

I am told that Zometa taken once a year in an infusion (IV) can treat Osteoporosis. On the Internet, I only find Zometa as it is related to bone cancer. Does anyone know anything about Zometa and Osteoporosis or would anyone like to share their experience or knowledge?<br><br>Thank you.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:26 PM
Unregistered

Default No Subject

I am currently receiving intravenous doses of zometa every six months in a drug study with the cancer drug femara. Femara is an aromatase inhibitor used in the treatment of breast cancer. The study is to see if the Zometa will stop the bone lose caused by this family of drugs. So far I have had some reversal in my bone density since taking the Zometa. This is a five year study started two years ago.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:26 PM
Unregistered

Default No Subject

I am currently receiving intravenous doses of zometa every six months in a drug study with the cancer drug femara. Femara is an aromatase inhibitor used in the treatment of breast cancer. The study is to see if the Zometa will stop the bone lose caused by this family of drugs.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:51 PM

Red face Va hospital uses Zometa for osteoporosis treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post
I am told that Zometa taken once a year in an infusion (IV) can treat Osteoporosis. On the Internet, I only find Zometa as it is related to bone cancer. Does anyone know anything about Zometa and Osteoporosis or would anyone like to share their experience or knowledge?<br><br>Thank you.
I recently received IV infusion of this drug for treatment of osteoporosis. That was about 6-8 weeks ago. I have had about 3 episodes fo flu like symptoms , each lasting about 3 days. I am trying to find out if having this side effect recur is normal. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:10 PM

Default Kittylou40

My mother was given the IV (yearly) of Zometa and she has been in terrible pain 3 days after. She has osteoporosis. All her bones and muscles hurt. The only spot that doesn't is her jaw. My question is "Is there any way to reverse the drug once it has been given." I hope that it hasnt cause permenant damage (pain) for her.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:10 PM

Default Zometa & Osteoporosis

My infusion of Zometa was approx. eight days ago and I have continued pain in several joints, shoulder, ankles and hips. Oncology doc says without the use of Zometa, taking calcium and Vitamin D is of no use. Other cancer drugs have accellerated the onset of my osteoporosis. I am not inclined to receive another IV of Zometa and am researching other treatment methods for osteoporosis. No evidence of cancer now, however, had I known the complications resulting from taking the cancer meds, I may have opted for another pathway.