Prescription Drug Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Prescription Drug Discussion Forums > Medication Discussions > Specific Drug Discussions > Actonel

Notices

Old 12-03-2005, 06:00 AM
Christy

Default eyes! alert!

Hello, I have a copy of the Nurse's PDR -- (read below on "eyes": and ...if you don't have a copy...go to "visit" a bookstore that is "userfriendly" (Barne's and Noble is one...where you may peruse at your leisure))(this is a directory on drugs for the nurses...as you know "they" are the ones who deal with the pt.s)((it is just like the doc's copy...but sometimes "better"...you can get one at most major bookstore's and sometimes last year's copy is cutrate!))((if one takes any prescribed meds, (or the family does and need a reference..this book is needed))) Actonel: (2001 Year: quoting Nurse's Drug Handbook: under "Risedronate sodium" lists: Pregnancy Category "C" = "risk cannot be ruled out"; lists classifiscation as "biphosphonate for Paget's disease"; lists drug actions, uses, contraindications, special concerns (these are usually listed in order...and "upper GI") is listed first; Side Effects: (almost better to read-this-site's comments as you will get what I really think is an accurate full-range and many perspectives...have not read any comment here, that does not "call for concern" (whether or not related to taking this med). Your concern is your eyes: under Side Effects: Ophthalmic: Amblyopia is listed. (for your personal-side-effect...read the other concerns "amblyopia" = reduced vision in "an" eye. Will let you check on any other concerns. One does have to wonder if we need to take all of the additional calcium and vit D (and most of us were taking this, anyway)...that "calcium reduces the absorption" of this drug interesting. Then the noted dosage was 30mg/once daily/for period of two months...interesting when doses are now at 35mg at "one time." Under Assessment: there is considerable assessment to "prescribe this drug" in the first place... great ref. book! C.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:00 AM
sharon

Default Actonel

I was just told i have osteoprosis, and given Actonel once a week, i never have problems with medications until now i only have taken it once but that one time was my last. The side affects are just too much i have chest pain neck pain sore joints back pain dizzy ringing in my ears stomach burning, i just feel all around bad, i am looking for an alterntive i am taking 1800 mil of cal. with vit.D i walk on the tread mill evey morning, i will watch what i eat because there has to be a better way. if anyone knows one please let me know but for now i am not taking it.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Research Analyst

Default BE AWARE!! Side affects of Actonel

In reference to the prescription medication Actonel, this comment is lengthy but may be worth your while to read:<br>I was reading the comments and concerns about the side affects of Actonel. I have been researching this particular medication for over a year. I tried to gather as much information as possible before taking it, because honestly I don't like to take medications and I am always leary of new medications, especially those being advertised and pushed on us via the television. I wanted to know FDA regulation policies, where the studies were done and so on. I never was completely satisfied with the information I gathered, but after all that time spent, I conceded to my diagnosis and began taking this easy once a week dosage, along with, of course, my calcium. On routine visits to both my Primary Care Physician and my ObGyn I mentioned that I had been taking the Actonel consecutively, and without missing any doses for about 6 months. I had developed a lump of sorts or a roundness at the base of my neck and began having so much pain in my neck, shoulders and hips (specifically) that I questioned it's necessity versus the side affects. Worse was that I began having numbness and tingling sensations in my feet and hands. Both my physicians assured me numbness and tingling in the feet and hands was not a side affect of Actonel, but the pain however was a real and noted side affect in MOST Actonel users. It was decided that I would be tested for diabetes, and neuropathy (an abnormal or degenerative state of the nervous system as well as vitimin deficiencies, (even though I am, have always been fairly healthy, eat well, exercise, and have a good weight and good blood pressure etc. Before the Actonel I felt fine, even though diagnosed with full blown osteo at the age of 45. If you read the Mayoclinic.com web information on Actonel, this is a drug that has not been presented to the public for a length of period that will allow an honest conclusion of what these side affects will mean to its' users down the road, say in five to ten years. Sadly, most women who are prescribed this medication trust in their physician and those who developed this drug. My suggestion is to trust your instinct, listen to what your body is telling you. It wasn't anywhere near acceptable to have two Phd's providing me information that I knew to be inaccurate due to hours of research at Mayo and U.C. Davis etc. It appears this day and age that Phd's just don't have the time to be informed, but how can they be with so many new medications on the market each year, it's either that or they just don't care to be informed. It's sad. On my most recent doctor's appointment I informed my physician I was still having horrible pain in my neck and the numbness and tingling were still very present on a daily basis, he said simply, "stop taking it", I told him I had not taken "it" in over four months and the side affects are still very present. His comment was, "we will hope that they will go away", and my thought, as I was being pushed out the door was, what if they don't? Be advised and be careful with the prescription Actonel as well as any other bone altering medication. Fosamax gave me chest pain to the point that I just knew I was having a heart attack, but I wasn't, it was just another side affect. Of course the Actonel was the next choice. Heads up ladies, on this last visit to my Physician I was informed there is yet another newer more improved medication on the market for osteo. I will be given intravenously, once a year. My question is this, if those great powers that be don't know what the "long term" affects/reprocussions are of a weekly or monthly doseage of these medications how then can they possibly know the affects of a once a year doseage, given no less, intravenously. Makes me want to run right out and sign up!! Personally, I'm pumping myself full of calcium and being very careful so as not to take a tumble.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:37 AM

I have been having constant joint pain especially my back and hands. I also thought my eye sight was getting worse. I have been on Actonel for about 1 year and that is when it started. PG must know this if they offered you $500.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:44 AM

I too have had many aches and pains since taking Actonel and did not make the connection until reading this site. I am considering legal action
Old 01-21-2009, 03:51 AM

My sister in law and I both just put the connection together of Actonel and joint pain. I have been in pain since taking this and did not realize the cause. We both have terrible stiffness in our hands and joints. We also are having trouble with our eyes. We are considering consulting an attorney
Old 01-21-2009, 03:53 AM

ditto. I have had the same exact symptoms for the past year since taking Actonel.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:55 AM

I have been on it for 1 yr and just realized the aching in my hands and back are from this drug
Old 01-21-2009, 04:01 AM

I have the same exact story since taking Actonel for 1 year. I have nothing but aches and pains. No one tied it to the Actonel, but this site is filled with women who have the same problems from the drug. I have been through hell this past year and considering legal action
Old 01-21-2009, 04:03 AM

I to have the same symptons since taking Actonel